cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On R5 how to display focal length as you zoom lens?

usern4cc
Contributor

On the R5 camera, how can you display the focal length of the lens, on the EVF or rear screen, as you change it while zooming?

Thank you!

22 REPLIES 22

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have not seen this option and am not sure its supported in camera.  What purpose does it serve (out of curiosity)?

Composition is in the eye of the beholder.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I just talked to Canon support.  They have *no* way (currently) to display the focal length of the lens in either display.  I have explained my reasons (below) why it's important and asked them to pass it on in hopes of adding it to a future firmware update (but I'm not holding my breath on that one).

That's very sad - even old little companies like Olympus (my previous camera system) displayed the current focal length as one of their "important" displays - which it is.

When I do panoramas on a tripod with ball-stop settings, I need to know the actual focal length of the zoom lens so that I can choose the proper step distance for the ball-stops to get the proper spacing for the panoramas.  This is an important thing.

If I was making movies with the R5 (which I'm not), I might want to know how to set the exact focus positions so that I could do predefined or repeated focus pulls or whatever other video magic they like to do.

Once you have it where you want it, take an image and review the playback. Not elegant, but it is a work around.

THANK YOU!

I didn't notice this.  I will definately do this in the future.

It's not as nice as having the focal distance displayed as I adjust the zoom, but at least it's something!

The Canon support team should have mentioned this, but at least you have someone working there who will answer the phone and give you the best support they know how to in a friendly way.  And, unlike Olympus, they're still in business!

Again, many thanks.

@usern4cc,

I understand your desire for this feature now.  Thanks.  Have to say though that reporting the set focal length of an attached lens is the least of Canon's worries with the R5 & 6 as far as "holes' go.

Cheers 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well, I will agree with that.  I'm guessing that you have a list of the more major failings that the R5 has (ignoring the wonderfly great stuff, by the way).  I don't have a list, and it would take too long to mention what I'd do differently so I don't even want to start.  But I will say that in general I'm very happy with the R5 and RF lenses.  Could it be better? - Sure!  Maybe it will get better in the future.  We'll see.

I think that it is a mistake to assume that the focal length reported by any zoom lens would be accurate.  Most of them are wrong.  They're only reporting where the zoom ring my be set, which is often not the actual focal length in use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The reporting of the zoom focus length may indeed be wrong.  If so, it's a shame that the makers can't use proper QualityControl and allow correction of the reporting so that they get it as accurate as possible.  After all, they go to a lot of trouble to shim their lenses to get proper focusing on the sensor, don't they?  (well, at least Canon does)

But I would still rather have the ability to see whatever number they say so I could use it as a reference to adjust the step size for my panoramas.  If I find it's consistantly wrong in any direction, I could adjust accordingly if I wanted to.

It is not a QA issue. With some designs, the focal length changes as a function of focus distance:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_breathing_focal_length_changes.html

Announcements