cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Vivitar flash working with new-ish EOS 550D

conor0460
Apprentice

I have a vivitar auto thyristor 2800, When I connect it to my 550D with hotshoe, the ready light illuminates and blinks when I take photos, but the flash won't trigger. I know the flash works, Also when I go into the settings it says that the flash isn't compatible.

I don't really wanna buy an adapter or whatever, maybe magiclantern could fix it but Idk yet

1 REPLY 1

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

3rd Party Flashes with a trigger voltage higher than 250v won't fire and could possibly damage your camera. Your 3rd Party flash doesn't work with the speedlite control menu. This feature only works with certain Canon speedlites released from 2008-present. The speedlite control menu was introduced with cameras released in 2007-present. Depending on your budget. Look into the EL-100 or 430EX III-RT. The speedlite EL-5 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with your camera. Otherwise ALL other Canon EX & EL speedlites are compatible with your camera. Old Canon EZ & TL ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with your camera. Those speedlite use A-TTL or TTL metering flash metering which is NOT compatible with digital cameras. Your camera uses Canon's E-TTL flash metering.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements