cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd - 6D MkII keeps reverting to level screen after each shot

Skip70
Enthusiast

Every time I take a shot, the picture will flash for a second or so but the LCD screen then goes to the level indicator (which normally does not appear unless I toggled the INFO button). 

I can't seem to get it to stop doing this. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

Yes. When the level displays, press INFO to switch to another display mode such as the Quick menu screen.  Then, after taking a shot, you should briefly see the captured image, then it should return to displaying the Quick menu screen.

Basically, the camera will remember the last-used screen as set by INFO.

I can replicate this on my EOS 5D IV:

1. I normally have the Quick menu set, so when I powered the camera on, the Quick Menu was displayed.
  2. I pressed INFO four times to move through the following: secondary quick menu, blank screen, some info display, then the level.
  3. Captured an image.  Image briefly shown, then switched back to the level.
  4. Pressed INFO again to have the camera display the Quick Menu
  5. All subsequent captures show the image, then return to the Quick Menu
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the OVF or Live View?

What is being displayed on the rear screen prior to taking a shot?

Try switching the camera shooting mode to Intelligent Auto, the Green Square.  Does the issue still persist, or does it go away?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Good diagnostic questions -- made me pay attention to everything. 
I am using OVF. Right now the level indicator is essentially the default on the LCD -- it is there when I turn on the camera, only goes away briefly to display the shot, then reappears. If I press the INFO button, it goes to the MENU menu. Oddly, I suddenly can't remember what is normally on there in between shots but it has never been either the level indicator nor the MENU screen. I am used to having the screen show various camera settings (shutter,r speed, shooting mode, white balance, etc.)

normadel
Authority
Authority

Do you have the Full Instruction Manual for the camera? The PDF file is at:

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300027469/05/eos6d-mk2-im4-en.pdf

Pages 73-86 discuss all the options for setting review time, displaying the level, Info Button use, Info screen, Quick Control screen, etc. 

Have you changed settings for anything that affects what you're seeing and when? Maybe a reset to factory defaults, and starting there, is what you need to do.

Yes, I have the manual and am one of those people who actually reads it fully and often, so your advice is appreciated.! have gone through it on this issue and cannot seem to find anything. 

I did a reset of factory settings a few days ago so it has taken my faulty memory a bit to recall what is different. Right now, every time I take a picture, once the display photo timer runs out (I have it set to five seconds) it reverts to the electronic level. What I want (and thought I had before) is that it wold revert to the Control View screen. I cannot find an option that allows me to set it that way. 

rs-eos
Elite

Yes. When the level displays, press INFO to switch to another display mode such as the Quick menu screen.  Then, after taking a shot, you should briefly see the captured image, then it should return to displaying the Quick menu screen.

Basically, the camera will remember the last-used screen as set by INFO.

I can replicate this on my EOS 5D IV:

1. I normally have the Quick menu set, so when I powered the camera on, the Quick Menu was displayed.
  2. I pressed INFO four times to move through the following: secondary quick menu, blank screen, some info display, then the level.
  3. Captured an image.  Image briefly shown, then switched back to the level.
  4. Pressed INFO again to have the camera display the Quick Menu
  5. All subsequent captures show the image, then return to the Quick Menu
--
Ricky

Duh. That did it. Forgot that the camera does not have a default mode per se on the screen; it simply returns to whatever was on the screen last before the shot. Thanks. 

Glad that solved the issue and that this wasn't some hardware failure!

--
Ricky

Announcements