Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Canon flash on 70D?

osterdahl
Contributor
Hi there!

Another question about my 70D.
I have a left over Metz 44 flash for Olympus/Panasonic.
Can I use it in manual mode on my camera, or will I destroy something?
11 REPLIES 11

Skirball
Authority

It shouldn’t damage anything, but caveat emptor.  This website:

http://dpanswers.com/roztr/volt_finder.php

Says the trigger voltage is 4.7.  I’m not sure what the 70D is, but most recent Canons can handle up to 250V.  Check your manual if you’re worried.  Personally I wouldn’t be, but I’m not going to recommend to someone that they risk their camera equipment if I don’t know for sure.

I’m also not sure how the Olympus flash is set up, but most everyone uses the center button for a trigger, so it should work on manual.

And if you’re at all concerned about damaging the camera, spend $25 and get a set of Yongnuo RF-602 radio triggers (for Canon).  Protects your camera, and gives you off-camera flash capabilities.  Win-win.

Thank You for the info Skirball.

I looked in the manual and it says 100-240V in and 8,4 out, so I tried the flash and it worked fine in manual mode.

So, until I can afford a Canon Speedlite I will use this.

//Leif

100-240 sounds like a line-in voltage, like for your charger.  But looks like it’s too late for that  🙂

Canon isn’t very forthcoming with max hotshoe voltages, I don’t know why.   Most of the numbers I’ve seen are just tables on the internet, no idea where the data actually came from.

ormelittle
Apprentice

I have a favourite flash: Metz 32 MZ -3, which I used with Nilon and Olympus cameras - with appropriate adapters.

I would like to use the flash again, but with a Canon D70.

Does anyone know any adapters that are out there at the moment. (Metz no longer produce any)

Many thanks - in anticipation.

Since this thread is many years old you may want to start a new one with your question.  I have no answer for you. I will say it isn't likely this best idea to use the old flash. But if there is a will there is a way I am sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks at least for your reply! I suspected your advice would be what most people would say.

This is my first post - and I tried to start a new one, but the advice is not at all clear I'm afraid. Hence it appeared in an old post.

Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

The old style SCA adaptors are still available on ebay, the last adaptor that metz made for Canon EOS doesn't give you full compatibilty with EOS digital cameras and whilst it works it is only suitable for manual flash mode.

The best and cheapest thing you can do is to buy a manual (universal, single pin) SCA adaptor. Adaptors for other cameras  may also work in manual flash mode but you run the risk of the flash putting incorrect signals into the data pins of the flash socket which could possibly damage the camera.

Thanks for your reply. Looks very clear - not really worth the trouble, or risk to my camera.

Sadly not,  I still have a perfectly functional Metz 44-MZ-3 sitting on the shelf with the same problem, just can't bring myself to throw it away.

Announcements