cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camera questions - comparison

gharris1998
Apprentice
Hey all,

So, I've finally convinced myself to save up for a DSLR and some lenses, and I've narrowed my search down to two choices, the Canon EOS 80D and the Canon EOS 77D. I definitely will be purchasing either camera with the 18-135 mm USM kit lens, and also will be purchasing the Canon 2 Lens Kit (50 mm F1.8, 10-18 mm).

Of course, this would be my first DSLR, yet I feel that I am not simply interested in photography, but looking to take this camera semi professional and really learn everything there is to learn in the photo world. (Something that keeps me from considering a "more basic?" Rebel t7i)

On Adorama, such a setup would cost ~ $1600 for the 77D and ~ $1700 for the 80D. That being said, my question is, would I miss any of the features the 80D offers? (1/8000 min shutter speed vs 1/4000, larger battery, 100% Viewfinder coverage, etc) Or, is it worth it to save the extra $100 - $150 and simply go with the 77D? If you have experience with either or both cameras I'd love to hear your thoughts! Countless YouTube videos and internet articles have still left me torn between either camera. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Without question, the 80D is the much better camera at that price point.  If you want to get serious about photography, forget the 77D.

The most significant differences between the bodies are found in the instruction manuals, not in the specifications.  For example, the 80D has AFMA, Auto Focus Micro Adjustment, which allows you to tune a camera to a lens, which the 77D lacks.  There are significant differences in the AF systems, too.

Beware of the “camera kits” that are loaded up with tripods, filters, and other accessories.  Most of the extra stuff is not very good, and that’s being kind about it.  I would advise avoiding most of the package deals that include the kitchen sink.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Agree. For just a $100-150 difference go 80d. The lack of AFMA in the 77d alone justifies it.   

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes, for the small difference in price you get much more camera with the 80D.

AF Microadjustment

better view finder

faster 1/8000 shutter speed

faster 7fps burst

faster 1/250 flash sync

better  weathersealing

larger battery 

available BG-E14 grip

headphone jack

Mike Sowsun

You have received good advice from others and do avoid those "packaged starter kits" that throw in what are usually sub-par accessories at inflated prices.  There are some great and not so great places to buy bodies and lenses and some do not make it explicit when they are selling gray market (authentic product but not intended for sale in the U.S. so no U.S. warranty from Canon).

I have been dealing with B&H since the days of 35MM film and 1-800 numbers instead of internet; my AE1 came from them as has most of my Canon and related gear since and I have remained a happy customer.  Canon has their own online sales portal which is also certainly worth checking and I have purchased a number of Canon accessories via them. Lenses and other accessory products are often available via the Canon refurb section so check there for good deals. 

Be very wary of the many search results that Google provides because there are a lot of very sleazy retailers in the camera world.

If you are coming from the film world you are already a step up and if not don't be too easily seduced by the ability to shoot a huge number of images at virtually zero cost.  If you start in the digital world it is easy to lose sight of the need to capture the best possible images (both composition and the technical aspects of capture) rather than using the "spray and pray" method of shooting a ton of stuff and hoping for a few good results.  I gave my daughter my older 1DM2 body but first I had her shooting with my much older film EOS 650 for a year and she learned a lot about photography AND the discipline of image capture during that year.  Spending some time with a couple of good photography books will greatly aid you in achieving the results of which your camera is capable.  Digital imaging and the rapidly advancing sensor and autofocus technology has provided an incredible increase in what can be accomplished but the basics will always remain important.  Technology is a great aid but is no substitute for knowledge, understanding, and skill much of which comes through highly engaged experience.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@gharris1998 wrote:
Hey all,

So, I've finally convinced myself to save up for a DSLR and some lenses, and I've narrowed my search down to two choices, the Canon EOS 80D and the Canon EOS 77D. I definitely will be purchasing either camera with the 18-135 mm USM kit lens, and also will be purchasing the Canon 2 Lens Kit (50 mm F1.8, 10-18 mm).

Of course, this would be my first DSLR, yet I feel that I am not simply interested in photography, but looking to take this camera semi professional and really learn everything there is to learn in the photo world. (Something that keeps me from considering a "more basic?" Rebel t7i)

On Adorama, such a setup would cost ~ $1600 for the 77D and ~ $1700 for the 80D. That being said, my question is, would I miss any of the features the 80D offers? (1/8000 min shutter speed vs 1/4000, larger battery, 100% Viewfinder coverage, etc) Or, is it worth it to save the extra $100 - $150 and simply go with the 77D? If you have experience with either or both cameras I'd love to hear your thoughts! Countless YouTube videos and internet articles have still left me torn between either camera. Thanks!

You've already gotten excellent advice from four of the forum's most informed members, but I might as well add my voice to the crowd. If you're thinking of going semi-pro, you definitely want to choose the 80D over the 77D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK, Smiley Happy  here another vote for th 80D.  Actually the 80D is a very capable camera, I would choose it over even the 6D Mk II.

"... looking to take this camera semi professional ..."

"I definitely will be purchasing either camera  with the 18-135 mm USM kit lens, and also will be purchasing the Canon 2 Lens Kit (50 mm F1.8, 10-18 mm).

I am not so fond of this goal.  You are buying before you know what you want or need. A person with thoughts of advancing to a more serious level would not choose that kit.  A better option is the 80D and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

The 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a top notch kit which can take you far.  The lenses in the kit you cited are designed for amateurs.  Build quality to mention one thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your insight! I was interested in those lens I previously stated due to the wide variety of shots I could create with them, the 50 mm especially is enticing to me for portraits. What specifically about the 17-55 f 2.8 makes it a great lens? 

@gharris1998 wrote:

Thank you for your insight! I was interested in those lens I previously stated due to the wide variety of shots I could create with them, the 50 mm especially is enticing to me for portraits. What specifically about the 17-55 f 2.8 makes it a great lens? 

It's a sharp, fast, rugged lens whose range effectively renders the 50mm portrait lens unnecessary. The only knock I'd place on the 17-55 is that one of the two I bought needed autofocus microadjustment. But that's OK, because your 80D will have that capability.

What you really want to augment that kit (the 80D and the 17-55) is a 50-150mm f/2.8 telephoto. Sigma once made them (Canon never did), but it seems that nobody makes them anymore.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

To me the 80D is the only choice for the kind of money it sells for.
My main reason isn't the AF Microadjustment though it is more important then one may think. Rather it has a 100% coverage Optical View Finder with a Pentaprism. This is accurate and reliable and brighter. The 77D has a pentamirror and has only 95% coverage. There are a lot of things one loses going with a 77D.
Announcements