cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camera or New lens….Help please!!??!!

Johnplesh
Contributor

I have an 80D using 85mm f/1.8 for poorly lit middle school basketball. 
This current setup does great when at 1.8-2 and 1/1000 and I’m right in the corner taking shots. But anything else and I get poor quality. I’ve read to set at f/2.8 for this lens and keep at 1/800-1/1000 but put the ISO up to 3200 or slightly above. But the quality is still lousy. I’ve read the 80D doesn’t handle noise well. When I use Lightroom to decrease the noise I’m not thrilled with how soft the images look. I’m trying very hard to learn on my own and been experimenting for a year. I tried a f/2.8 70-200 iii canon on my 80D and honestly it didn’t blow me away. I think my camera is the limiting factor. If I’m replacing it I’ll have to buy used, did I say I had 3 kids, and I’m considering mirrorless for my needs. 

I need something that handles low light better than my 80D does, I’m happy to have either DSLR or mirrorless. My pictures will mostly be of dance and indoor sports. What would you suggest I start looking (and saving) for?

Also, is the 80D a camera that might sell easily and if so what price might I expect to sell it at including a 50mm 1.8 lens???

thanks in advance if you took the time to read this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi John and welcome to the forum:

First I agree with my colleagues that you may require an upgrade to get better performance at higher ISO, and I would recommend mirrorless as, having had the 80D and 90D, the 90D is no great improvement, in fact arguably the opposite as it crammed more pixels into the same space.

As Ricky and Ernie have both suggested, I would recommend one of the new R-series bodies, and definitely go full-frame, the sensor being bigger they should have better noise performance than a crop body.   The question as to what model is tied to your budget.

If you can afford it, I would suggest going for either the R6 or R6MkII, both are brilliant cameras, use the same battery as your 80D, have face and eye tracking that is superior to lower models and a better build.  They have In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) that helps to reduce camera shake in dim light and lower shutter speeds.   

You can use your current EF lenses with those bodies via the Canon EF-RF adapter, and so far I have never had an issue with them.  If you currently use EF-S lenses, although they will physically connect to a FF body, I would not recommend them as their narrower cone of projection onto the sensor will not cover a FF sensor and you will end up cropped by a factor of 2.56.   If you are going to sell your 80D, sell the lenses with it to help fund your purchase.

You can pick up a refurbished camera from Canon (like new, with limited warranty) as follows:
R6: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r6-body
R6MkII: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r6-mark-ii-body

If you can afford to invest in glass, then look at the range of RF glass they are brilliant optics.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Definitely not posters!  Likely computer screen size or 8x10 max print

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Just adding to the convo.

80D has Digic 6

R7 has a Digic X

The R7 has twice the native and expanded ISO 32000 & 51200 respectively.  

Do note that a full frame sensor would yield better low light performance.

The R62 refurb at $1799 is a heck of a deal. 💸 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements