cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Digital Photography - Outdoor/Nature Camera Recommendations

Rcmcgourk
Apprentice

Help!!!! LOL New to digital photography and want to purchase first camera. Wife and I mainly want to use for outdoor / nature shots. We are really overwhelmed by number of camera choices. We would like a good camera which we can expand by adding different zooms…etc as our experience grows. Not sure point and click models would limit our growth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

@Rcmcgourk wrote:

Thanks for information. We are more than likely going to purchase one camera. Budget around $2K. Fortunately we found a camera shop in the area to visit soon. This is a great forum. 

That budget is a pretty good target to meet your goals.  When you said “nature photography”, my first thought was does that mean landscapes or wildlife.  

Almost any lens can be used for any type of photography.  So, I would recommend one of the general photography packages that are already being suggested.  However, there are specialized lenses for specific shooting scenarios, especially for action photography like sports or wildlife.

The recommendations are pretty mainstream and are good starter packages for someone new to digital photography.  I would only add that hold back on spending your entire budget on camera and lens(es).  

You will want to add accessories like memory cards, spare batteries, and the ubiquitous camera bag.  On that note, stay away from dealers that are offering all of these things in a bundle.  Most of these packages include bundled accessories are cheap and low quality.

I would also suggest one of th R10 or R50 packages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Set aside money too for sturdy tripod.

Steve Thomas

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Currently Canon has some nice sale prices on a few of their mirrorless kits.  

They have the R7 (APS-C crop sensor) with a 18-150mm lens.  While the lens is not pro quality, it has a nice wide range which might be nice since you only will have the one lens for now.  When you do decide to get more lenses, you can most likely trade it in, and step up to better quality, or specific sizes, or both.  Price is normally $1,899 for this kit, but it's on sale for $1,799.

They also have the R8 (full frame) which has been getting some nice reviews!  The kit is with a 24-50mm lens.  A little bit more limited, but you would be getting a full frame camera, which is nice.  This is normally $1,699 but at $200 off, it's $1,499 right now.  

Better yet (and what I would do) buy the R8 without the lens (sale price at $200 off is $1,299).  For lenses get the RF 24-105 F/4-7.1 for $399, and the RF 50mm F/1.8 for $169.  You would be looking at about $1,870 plus tax.  I own both of these lenses.  While they are not as good as my lenses that cost $1,500... they are excellent for the price, and nice enough that I can make large prints (20" x 30" or more) without worrying about the detail.  

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

A general overview of the camera situation:
Canon currently produce two major types of cameras: Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLRs).  While there are still some available on the market, they are being phased out in favour of a whole (relatively) new platform, the Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs) of the R-series cameras.   Canon introduced their first ones about 6 years ago and have dramatically expanded their range of bodies and lenses ever since.  The DSLR line is shrinking and lenses for those bodies are being gradually phased out.   Consequently, while you can pick up some very cheap DSLRs, the question you need to ask yourself is if you want to engage with a platform that will grow with you or go for a cheaper, but limited time one.

Like most of my colleagues, I would recommend the MILC platform.  Not only is this expanding in range and capability, but the cameras offer many features not available in the DSLR one, such as the ability to track faces and eyes, enhanced features to help you get sharp images by reducing camera shake.  Like the DSLR line, the R-platform is broken down into two major groups:

• Full-Frame: the sensor on these units is the same size as the negative of a 35mm film (24x36mm).  These cameras tend to be slightly bigger and may be more expensive, but are great in  low light and for such applications as portraiture or landscape work.
  • APS-C, or Crop Sensor: this term comes because the sensor is smaller than the Full-Frame one, and as such gathers overall less light.  This makes is a bit less of a performer in low light, but is definitely more economical and the cameras are usually more compact. These units are favoured by wildlife photographers as they offer benefits for shooting with telephoto lenses.

The other major factor is lenses - one that is arguably more important than the body, because lenses do not change anywhere as quickly as camera bodies do.
The lenses for the R -series cameras are identified as RF (for Full-Frame and APS-C ) or RF-S units that should be used only on APS-C bodies.

There might seem a lot to consider, which is why I pointed you to the link I sent on buying camera gear, as it expresses the elements you need to consider less in technical terms and more in how you will actually use the camera and what outcomes you want.  From there, people with technical knowledge - either here or at a camera store (in that case I recommend a dedicated store, not a big-box seller) can take that and align your needs with the best gear for your situation.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The big question is whether you want a Full-frame or crop sensor camera. 
If you go FF, I would recommend the EOS R8 EOS R8 Body (canon.com)
and the RF 24-240 IS USM lens to get you going: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM (canon.com)

This combination will do the vast majority of your photography and you will take a while to grow past the lens, which is an excellent optic. For sample images I have posted to this site:
Moody Morning the the R6 & RF 24-240 - Canon Community
Trying out the RF 24-240 on Wildlife with the R5 - Canon Community

If you decide to go with a crop-sensor APS-C camera, then you have a choice of the R7 and R10, and the one lens starter for that format would be:
Just one lens: EOS R7 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit (canon.com)

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements