cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing help for school - Gear Recommendations

MsChris
Contributor

I am going to be starting a college photography course at the end of the month and I need some help choosing the right equipment, I am hoping to be able to lease to purchase all of my equipment and if possible I would like to bundle it all together. I have a list of the required equipment needed.

33 REPLIES 33

John_SD
Whiz

"I have an EXTREMELY small budget so I really need to get everything for the lowest price I possibly can and then I just upgrade later on down the road."

Good approach. Given your situation, you don't have the luxury of spending a lot of money on gear, nor is it necessary. A year from now, you'll be in a better position to know what you want. 

Get minimal stuff that suits your needs in order to get started. You don't need a studio full of equipment for a college class, you don't need to "bundle" a ton of gear to get going, and you don't need to blow money on a grip right now. I have yet to see a beginner class that requires a ton of gear to start.

I've had the T6, it's a good camera to learn the basics on. And very affordable, especially if refurbished from Canon. Go with a kit lens of some kind and a cheap tripod to get you through the class. Enjoy.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@John_SD,

Thread is nearly a year old now 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick & John_SD,

The OP, MsChris, revived the thread 7/8/2023. Apparently they moved the date of their class to 2023. The original class started in 2022, according to the OP. So, only the OP can explain that, not that it is important now 🙂

Newton

John_SD
Whiz

Indeed it is. I usually eyeball the posting dates first, but missed that this time. Ah well. My advice stands, along with my ongoing observation that this site is poorly managed. 

Announcements