cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Recommendations: SL3 or T6I

Brianna_G
Apprentice

I currently have an Olympus SP-610UZ. I am looking to upgrade my camera for nature and wildlife photography. (as well as casual use but I will mainly use it for nature and wildlife) I was going to just purchase the T6I but I saw the SL3 is similar when it comes to the price. The T7I is not an option for me unfortunately because I don't have 200 extra dollars. The SL3 has some better features but the T6I has more AF points so I'm kind of at a loss. I'm fairly new to photography so I appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

@Brianna_G wrote:

I currently have an Olympus SP-610UZ. I am looking to upgrade my camera for nature and wildlife photography. (as well as casual use but I will mainly use it for nature and wildlife) I was going to just purchase the T6I but I saw the SL3 is similar when it comes to the price. The T7I is not an option for me unfortunately because I don't have 200 extra dollars. The SL3 has some better features but the T6I has more AF points so I'm kind of at a loss. I'm fairly new to photography so I appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the target cohort for the SL seres is users who put a strong emphasis on small size and light weight (e.g., street photographers trying to be inconspicuous). For wildlife photography, I'd think that the extra AF points would be more worthwhile. Having used neither camera, I'd suppose that the T6i would be the better choice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Brianna_G
Apprentice
That makes sense, thank you!

What lens do you plan to use with your new DSLR?

Your Olympus SP-610UZ has an equivalent focal length zoom range of 28-616mm.  If you want a similar zoom range with a DSLR, you will need a lens capable of approximately 400mm.

If you just use the 55-250mm zoom lens, you will probably be disappointed. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

What lens do you plan to use with your new DSLR?

Your Olympus SP-610UZ has an equivalent focal length zoom range of 28-616mm.  If you want a similar zoom range with a DSLR, you will need at least a lens capable of approximately 400mm.

If you just use the 55-250mm zoom lens, you will probably be disappointed. 

Mike's point is valid, and you should take it into consideration in selecting a lens for your new camera, whatever you decide. But it isn't relevant to the question you asked. Both the T6i and the SL3 are APS-C cameras, which means that with any given lens, the two cameras will have the same angle of view. So if the 55-250 is too short for your purposes on one of the cameras you're considering, the same will be true on the other.

Bob

Tim
Authority

Brianna_G, 

Whether you're a first time SLR user, an aspiring photo enthusiast, or someone looking to capture those amazing family moments, the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 can be the perfect companion. It's the smallest and lightest EOS DSLR camera to date*, and is equipped with 4K recording capability, Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and a vari-angle LCD for selfies and fun angles. Its 24.1 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS Sensor combines with the powerful DIGIC 8 Processor for amazing performance and results, and the EOS Rebel SL3 even lets you channel your creativity with options like 4K Time-lapse movies and Creative Assist. Wherever you are and wherever you go, the EOS Rebel SL3 camera makes it simple to capture stunning photos and videos to view and share.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

Brianna_G, 

Whether you're a first time SLR user, an aspiring photo enthusiast, or someone looking to capture those amazing family moments, the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 can be the perfect companion. It's the smallest and lightest EOS DSLR camera to date*, and is equipped with 4K recording capability, Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and a vari-angle LCD for selfies and fun angles. Its 24.1 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS Sensor combines with the powerful DIGIC 8 Processor for amazing performance and results, and the EOS Rebel SL3 even lets you channel your creativity with options like 4K Time-lapse movies and Creative Assist. Wherever you are and wherever you go, the EOS Rebel SL3 camera makes it simple to capture stunning photos and videos to view and share.

Tim's comment reads like it was cribbed from a Canon TV commercial. But that's all right; I won't quibble over the content.

Smaller and lighter are a good thing (although at the extreme end of that path you can pay a price in durability). But a fact of modern DSLR systems is that the lens can be as heavy, and sometimes as large, as the camera body. Which limits the beneficial effect of a smaller, lighter body.

Bob

Tim brings up a good point, the SL3 has dual pixel AF, which can be very handy during video.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Since you handle is Brianna, I assume you are female?  And, you also have smaller hands than most males do? This would make the SL series very attractive.  You also said you want to shoot wildlife.  That means larger telephoto lenses. They tend to balance better with larger camera bodies.  How much of the time is wildlife going to be the goal?  If it occupies the larger part of your photography hobby, the T6i is probably going to be a better choice.

I would not let a claim of better AF features enter into the equation. I would let the size difference of the two candidates be primary. I do some wildlife shooting and BIF shooting and I mostly use the center AF point only and One shot.  Pretty simple.

I occasionally switch to Ai-servo with a few active AF points around the center. That's it.

1111111.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The SL3 is a clear winner for all of these reasons:

1070 vs 460 shots on a single battery charge

Max ISO 2560 vs 1280

+3EV vs +2EV (one stop still matters)

449g vs 555g weight

4k video (30p) vs 2k

Bluetooth vs none

1 yr old vs 5yrs old

I'm a numbers guy. (often)

AF points 9 vs 19 (Winner T6i) - Only drawback, but it doesn't matter

What ebiggs has menioned is very important

I agree the SL3 would be my choice.  Why, because you will be able to do more, have more flexiibility in a greater number of situations and all in a smaller and lighter package.  They have the same size sensor. 

The SL3 will give you greater creative control in your photos and video.  Will it focus and "lock on" as quickly maybe not, but in the long run and in a greater number of situations I believe you will appreciate the SL3 over the T6i.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements