cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer won't read my rebel t6

Semonecutie1
Apprentice
I did everything I've read so far and nothing seems to work. I have disabled the WiFi on my camera, I've also downloaded the EOS Utility along with the Utility 2 and Utility 3 and I'm using a USB cable. I don't understand what went wrong, help would be greatly appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am going to guess that you are using Windows 10. Make sure your USB cable is a data cable, not a power cable.

Turn off the camera and connect the cable.  Turning the camera on should launch the EOS Utility Launcher, which is a service that looks at your camera and decides to launch either EOS Utility 2 or 3.  On some Windows 10 computers, the launcher the launcher will get "stuck". The first time it runs, it is often in Wi-Fi/LAN mode, instead of USB mode.

When the EOS Utility Launcher gets stuck, you need to close it.  Next, go into the C: drive Programs folder, and find the Canon folder.  You need to manually start the EOS Utility 3.  I am not sure if the T6 uses 2 or 3.  Pick the correct one.  

The next time you connect the camera the EOS Utility Launcher should be able to figure out what to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Semonecutie1
Apprentice
Ohhhh ok, thank you for the help. I think I'm probably using a power USB cable instead of a data USB cable 🤦🏽‍♀️

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ray-uk
Whiz

You don't say which operating system your computer is using but if using Windows does your camera appear in the devices list shown in Windows Explorer when it is plugged in and turned on?

If not then you most likely have either a computer problem or a faulty USB cable.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am going to guess that you are using Windows 10. Make sure your USB cable is a data cable, not a power cable.

Turn off the camera and connect the cable.  Turning the camera on should launch the EOS Utility Launcher, which is a service that looks at your camera and decides to launch either EOS Utility 2 or 3.  On some Windows 10 computers, the launcher the launcher will get "stuck". The first time it runs, it is often in Wi-Fi/LAN mode, instead of USB mode.

When the EOS Utility Launcher gets stuck, you need to close it.  Next, go into the C: drive Programs folder, and find the Canon folder.  You need to manually start the EOS Utility 3.  I am not sure if the T6 uses 2 or 3.  Pick the correct one.  

The next time you connect the camera the EOS Utility Launcher should be able to figure out what to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Semonecutie1
Apprentice
Ohhhh ok, thank you for the help. I think I'm probably using a power USB cable instead of a data USB cable 🤦🏽‍♀️
Announcements