cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mac is not recognizing my EOS rebel sl1

jrcipcic
Apprentice

I have read through many of the responses ie. checking application/utilities/USB tree and my camera is not there.  Can someone please give me some advice!  Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How are you connecting it? If via USB wire, make sure any wireless connection is turned off.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using the USB cable that came with the camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Did you mean to say "Applications" -> "Utilities" -> "System Information" and then check the USB category (under the 'Hardware' section on the left-margin to set the category and then check for the device on the lists on the right).

The device must be plugged in and powered on before you launch "System Information" because it only scans the list of devices when the utility is started (you can do a "File" -> "Refresh Information" to make it scan again).

Some USB hubs are flakey so if the camera is connected to a hub which is connected to your Mac I would bypass the hub and plug the camera straight into the Mac's USB port for testing purposes (just to rule out hub problems)

I don't think the SL1 has built-in wi-fi.  Cameras that have the this feature will either have the USB port active OR the wifi active... but never both at the same time.  So it's common for someone to turn on wi-fi, connect to USB and wonder why it doesn't work.  But I don't think this applies to your camera.

The USB cable is another area where people can get tripped up.  It turns out many device charge via USB cables these days so they come with "USB charging" cables.  But these aren't real USB cables... they only have the power pins wired across... the data pins aren't actually wired.  The camera only uses the data pins and doesn't use the power pins (it only takes power frm the battery).   That means if you found a USB cable around the house instead of using the cable that came with the camera, you might be using a cable that doesn't have all the pins wired.  You don't have to use Canon's USB cable... most any USB cable with the correct ends will work *provided* that all the data pins are actually wired and it isn't just a charging cable.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements