cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Rebel T7i has a Black Display Screen - HELP :(

morganlprestrid
Apprentice

Hi there,

I need help with my Canon Rebel T7i - I was at a couples session and I went to turn my camera off and it said it was still processing 5 photos, but I didn't think much of it. When I turned it back on, the display screen was black and none of the buttons (menu, disp, etc.) were making the screen display my settings/photos and I still can't get it to display anything. I feel like I've tried everything. The camera will still focus/take photos, but it won't display them. 

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

Morgan

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Morgan, and welcome to the forum:

It is critical that you let the camera complete saving images to the card.  It is possible that the card has been corrupted. 

First, with the camera turned off, remove the card.  Then turn the camera on again. Do you get any kind of display or message on the screen now?

If the screen remains blank, press the DISP (or INFO) button on the back, and see if you get a display of some kind then.

If that is the case, it is likely the card is corrupted.   You can try to format the card on a computer and then try it again, but if it does not work, then you need to get a new card.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Thank you SO much for the quick response. I tried what you suggested, but the screen remained black the whole time. It may be helpful (idk) to note that whenever I turn the camera on now, my lens starts to auto focus itself which I don't remember ever happening before. 

Thanks again,

Morgan

Do you have another SD card available you can put in the camera.  If so, do that with the camera turned off.  Then remove the battery and leave if for a minute or two.  Put the battery back in and turn the camera on again.  See what happens then.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Just did it. Screen is still black 😞 I did email Canon support directly so I'll see what they say. May just have to bring it in for some maintenance. Thank you so much again for your help!

I think that is the best solution.  If you are in the US, you can talk to them on 1-800-OK-CANON.

cheers, TREVOR

Hi, had the same issue and found out that my shutter speed was to high had it at 4000 and iso at 200 , aperture at 5.6 and result black screen and no image. I lowered my shutter speed to 200 and increased my iso to 800 and aperature to 5.6 and now i can see my image and picture is taken. Its a combination of setting that did not allow to take the image and see it. Hope this helps , a bit late.

Announcements