cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie Recording Stopped Automatically

paulajohan
Apprentice
Ok so I've had this Canon T5i for some time now, around a year and a half. I've always used it to record videos for YouTube, never had any problems with it whatsoever. I know there is a 29min limit to movie Recording and that was never a real issue.
The problem started a few days ago. The movie recording stops suddenly at around 10 min or sometimes 12 min, it's never at an exact time. I know there's a "4Gb limit" as well, but my camera always split the files normally without interrupting the recording, but ever since this problem it will just interrupt the filming, and I have to press the record button again to start a new one. That is becoming incredibly annoying!
I have not changed my memory card, the one I use is SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10, at 80MB/sr reading speed.
Can someone tell me what might be the problem here? I've never encountered any issues with it ever since I first got the camera, which is why I don't understand it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try using a full-sized SD card instead.  Micro-SD are notorious to causing problems.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using a full-size SD card, or micro-sized one with an adapter?

Is the camera perhaps shutting off to deal with heat? Are there any thermal warnings/errors visible?   Are you also filming in a very warm/hot environment?

--
Ricky

paulajohan
Apprentice
I am using a micro-sized one with an adapter, yes. The camera does not shut off, it just stops recording. There are no warnings apart from the "movie recording stopped automatically" and I am filming in a room with air conditioner that keeps the temperature around 17 Celsius degrees whenever I am filming a video.

Try using a full-sized SD card instead.  Micro-SD are notorious to causing problems.

--
Ricky

paulajohan
Apprentice
I'm gonna try that and come back here after some tests.

Also, though this goes along with getting a new card, you should periodically format your card in the camera. If the card has a lot of space, but it is fragmented, I think that the camera can take too long to find all the little chunks, slowing the write speed.

paulajohan
Apprentice
Hey, sorry it took me so long to come back here, but I finally managed to buy a new SD card. I bought the full-sized one and tested it out many times, and I am happy to say that it worked! Thank you so much for your help!
Announcements