cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor running or IS running - R6 mark II

edgeman
Apprentice

Hi first time on here I just purchased a new R6 mark II. When I start shooting and stop the motor keeps going in all my lens I shoot EF glass with the converter. I contacted the store and they said it is the IS still working and it is ok. if I turn the IS off on the lens I do not hear it. Is it all right or normal to hear this sound on the R cameras?

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

That's normal. In a DSLR, the lens doesn't have to be active the entire time because the focusing mechanism is analog. In a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC), the Live View display (LCD) or Electronic View Finder (EVF) are actively reading the data directly off the sensor and engaging the Dual Pixel CMOS Auto Focusing system (again on the sensor) and engaging the lens, so you see an accurate representation of your shot.

If your lens is a standard IS lens, you'll hear the motor, and it can kind of sound like a zipping noise. If you have an "older" UltraSonic (USM) lens, it'll be a super-fast zippy/clicky kind of noise. STM lenses are super quiet, but you'll still hear them kind of woosh. The newer RF STM & UltraSonic lenses are designed for video/LCD shooting and you will barely hear them at all. 

Thank you very much I will turn IS back in the lens and leave it on. Just worried it would effect the lens.

Nope! It's just a little annoying. 😆

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

As mentioned, it is normal. However, you can disable that in the AF 3 menu structure (page 501 in the advanced manual). It's referred to as "Preview AF" in the R6 mark II. Other MILC's may refer to it as "Continuous AF". It will deplete your battery faster and, imho, may cause unnecessary wear on the lens.

I disable it because I just don't find it useful, and battery drain, but that would be up to you if you find it of benefit 🙂

Newton

Announcements