cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximizing R6 Capabilities/Features

gray6
Apprentice

I upgraded from the M50 to R6, and want to make the most out of the new camera.

I am a beginner photographer and only ever play with the ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. I mostly take pictures of people, events, and food.

Are there concepts or guides I should read about? What will I be able to do (that I wasn't able to do with M50)?

I have the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II that I'll be using with the adapter.

Anything helps, thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You need to understand the basics of photography.  If you bought a piano, you would not be able to use it effectively if you did not understand the basics of music.  This is a link to series of videos released by Canon USA several years ago.  It is aimed at absolute beginners using a Rebel camera.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp-znpQge8HxrllwXwn9B0Xxf1f7BQnXC 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The pillars of photography are understanding the Exposure Triangle and Depth of Field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The principles of photography are the same for every camera.

As seeking further education in those and other areas.  The first thing I would recommend is checking out the on-line catalogue of your library.  Look for an e-learning resource called LinkedIn Learning.   If you can find it, that gives you free access via your library log-on credentials to what would normally be a fairly costly site that has extensive resources on a wide range of subject - including photography.  Do a search for photography and check out the topics.  They cover everything from the basics to advanced techniques for studio work and post production.  The material is presented in a very professional manner by skilled photographers and educators.

The other obvious source is YouTube.  There is a huge range of tutorials on the R6, and on its applications.  There are also topics covering food and people photography.

I have a couple of R6 cameras, although I use them mostly for shooting other subjects - in particular wildlife where the IBIS and eye tracking are hugely beneficial.

In general, you will gain advantages with your R6 at the wider angle end because you are using a full-frame camera, and that also is a bonus for noise and lower light performance.  Your M50 has a crop sensor body that meant that what it captured was reduced from what the values on the lens suggested.  So a 15-45mm EF-M lens would actually render 24-72mm, but also the apertures would be impacted too.  So you have gained a lot for your food photography by going Full Frame - you can isolate subjects more and get in closer.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements