cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mark II focusing problem with action shots

dladmire00
Contributor

Hi Y'all,
I was wondering if y'all could look at a photo I took with my new Mark II and give your input. This is actually a problem that keeps happening. Canon seemed to think that it was a problem with the focusing system based off the information I provided and since I was still within my first month of owning the camera, Adorama sent out a new one.

The problem I'm having is this: when I am taking photos of my very active children, I am getting a lot of soft shots. For the life of me I can't figure out why. I use back button focus and am wondering if I might be using it wrong? I hold down the back button and track my subject(if I'm shooting an active child) or focus and recompose(if I'm shooting a senior who remains still and posed).

In this particular photo I used Al Servo and the info is as follows:
ss: 1/1250 (should be more than adequate)
f2.2 on my 85 mm 1.8 lens
ISO 200
spot metering

I never had this problem on my previous camera (Canon 60D). I am so frustrated to have this new camera and incur problems that I didn't use to have. Any thoughts on what in the world I'm doing wrong?

Some other people on other forums that I'm a member of have said that this is a common problem with the Mark II...is this true?  I'd hate to think that I just spent a lot of money on a camera that won't deliver basic action shots of my kids.

Thanks so much for your help with this!
Lynsey

IMG_2186_edited-1.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

I was in AI SERVO.  What I'm finding is that all my soft shots are following the initial shot of a continuous shot series.  I get the first shot in focus, but the shots that follow while my finger is still on the shutter turn out soft.  I'm not sure why...didn't have this happen with my 60D and am not using a different method than I used then...should I be??

Mykolas
Authority

Dladmire00,

Based on what you are describing, you may want to double check that you are shooting in AI Servo and not AI Focus.  If you are shooting quickly moving subjects in AI Focus, the camera is likely not tracking the subject. If you are seeing the first image or two in focus, but the rest are out of focus, then it’s possible that the camera was set to AI Focus instead of AI Servo in this instance.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements