cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M200 firmware download?

EvangelionAdams
Apprentice

I know there isn't an update available, but I'd like to flash the firmware back to 1.0 on my EOS M200. I have reason to believe a modified version of the firmware was installed for malicious purposes using the USB connection to my computer as an attack vector. If that's the case would flashing fw be sure to neutralize the threat, or might it persist like a hacked motherboard BIOS? 

5 REPLIES 5

Peter
Authority
Authority

Because Canon never published a firmware update for M200 it is unlikely that a modified firmware has been installed in your camera.

No success for Magic Lantern to reverse engineer M200 either.

For some older camera models from Canon, for example M100, there was a security issue via WiFi. An intruder controlling the WiFi network could hijack a camera. Canon solved it with a firmware update.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Peter is correct. There were no known incidents.  Canon patched this vulnerability because the potential for it existed, not because it happened.  The M100 was patched.  The M200 probably already included the fix.  Hence no update.  

You can read about it here:

Canon Support | Regarding the security advisory for Canon digital cameras related to PTP (Picture Tr...

No incidents were reported, a security firm merely demonstrated it could.  Rest assured you are fine.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

EvangelionAdams
Apprentice

and yet I have reason to believe. 

Is there a teardown guide somewhere? Maybe this camera has different internals. Can the wifi/bluetooth be removed? 

Other possibilities include someone at canon being responsible, or their firmware code being stolen and changed for malicious purposes, or something like a hak5 om.g chip in the usb cable or in the camera between the usb port and the board. 

Peter
Authority
Authority

There is a third-party app to turn off things and reset the camera to factory mode, but that is not something for this forum so you will have to search yourself.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
@EvangelionAdams wrote:

and yet I have reason to believe. 

Is there a teardown guide somewhere? Maybe this camera has different internals. Can the wifi/bluetooth be removed? 

Other possibilities include someone at canon being responsible, or their firmware code being stolen and changed for malicious purposes, or something like a hak5 om.g chip in the usb cable or in the camera between the usb port and the board. 

You're welcome to believe what you like.  I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

Your camera is not on the list of affected models.  This is a fact.

"Other possibilities include someone at canon being responsible." 

Do you have any evidence of this?  If not, I think that is reaching.

Tear down and schematics is likely available at USCamera dot com.  I would recommend against trying to forcibly remove the camera's wi-fi or bluetooth capability.  It might not work after this type of surgical procedure.  Maybe you could choose a model that doesn't have these features if you are concerned? 

Or, you could accept that Canon who has demonstrated a sincere interest in the past for its customers well being would take steps in the event they were needed.

I hope you enjoy your camera, I'm sure that's why you purchased it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements