cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Battery Voltage and AutoFocus On R10

Cantrell
Enthusiast

All,

I have a R10 and I have two questions. First, will a low battery affect the functions of the camera? In particularly the Auto Focus and High Speed Continuous shooting. Second, when you are using Auto Focus do you need to adjust your focus with the focusing ring on the lens or does pressing the Shutter Button half way down to initiate Auto Focus suffice? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Reese 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Reese,

With respect to your second question:

If you have the switch on the side of your lens moved to pointing at AF, then yes, a simple half-press of the shutter will initiate auto focusing by your camera.

Some lenses have something called Electronic Full-time Manual Af that allows you to manually turn the focus ring and adjust focus, even if you are in autofocus. Check the manual for your lens to see if it has this feature.

As far as your first question is concerned, yes, you probably will notice your camera slowing down as the battery gets low on power. I'd strongly encourage you to buy a spare battery, so that you can be recharging one, while you continue to shoot with the other.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Reese,

With respect to your second question:

If you have the switch on the side of your lens moved to pointing at AF, then yes, a simple half-press of the shutter will initiate auto focusing by your camera.

Some lenses have something called Electronic Full-time Manual Af that allows you to manually turn the focus ring and adjust focus, even if you are in autofocus. Check the manual for your lens to see if it has this feature.

As far as your first question is concerned, yes, you probably will notice your camera slowing down as the battery gets low on power. I'd strongly encourage you to buy a spare battery, so that you can be recharging one, while you continue to shoot with the other.

Steve Thomas

Stevet1,

Thank you for your response.

Reese

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, most likely. Most Canon DSLRs would have reduced frame rates once battery dropped below 50%.  This was done to help reduce battery drain. I would expect the same behavior in MILC bodies. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Thank you for your response.

Reese

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Absolutely, I have experienced the effect of low battery causing issues with shutter speed and autofocus on several cameras.  Remember these batteries are powering autofocus motors and the shutter mechanism and on high speed it creates a significant battery drain, especially if the camera is focusing with each shot, which is a possibility - and that is with the much bigger LP-E6 series of batteries that hold a lot more charge capacity.

There are ways to reduce battery drain.  If your camera has a continuous mode in the focus menu, turn it off - basically it makes the camera autofocus the lens continuously, whether you are using it or not, and it's a throwback. If you want to track subjects turn on servo mode - that will track as long as you half press the shutter button.

Personally, I don't like having focus assigned to the shutter button and use the method called Back Button Focus, which uses (the already assigned) AF-On button as your focusing button and disables it from the shutter button.  If you have servo mode on, then to focus on a static subject, you TAP the AF-On button, it finds focus and stops focusing.  If you want to track a moving subject then HOLD the AF-ON button and it will do so.  By using this method, you are not running continuous autofocus unless you need to use it.  See this video from Canon on the subject: 

Similarly, if you don't need to be using high frame rates turn them down or go to single shot.

I hope this helps

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements