cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade from my PowerShot SX50

Skylark6
Apprentice

I've had a Canon PowerShot SX50 for about 10 years and have loved it. But it's gotten a lot of wear and tear and I'd like to upgrade. I'm looking in the Canon Rebel class, particularly sl2/sl3.  

Essentially I'm a step up from "beginner" that has taken a lot of photos, and looking to up my game.  

I mostly do a lot of "on the fly" snapshots - out a train/car window, or a quick snap of something that catches my eye while walking by or on a tour, rather than extensive setups with tripods, etc. My Canon PowerShot gave me great image stabilization. I also use the auto setting a lot. I took a photography class once but couldn't fully follow along because I didn't have enough control over the ISO, etc with the PowerShot. For me to learn, I really need to play with settings and extremes, so I'd like something that lets me do that while retaining great auto settings. I kind of know what I want to get from a shot, just need to learn the settings to do so.

The PowerShot is quick too - I'd like that on anything I upgrade to.

Gresr zoom like I got from the Powershot is also a must

I don't shoot video much now (for streaming, at least) so 4k isn't the top of my list but I may like to in the future so I won't rule it out.

Looking at around max $800 right now but some flexibility depending on camera features.

Would love any recommendations.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I am concerned by your statement: "Gresr (sic) zoom like I got from the PowerShot is also a must". 
The SX50 had a zoom with a massive range that was heavily linked to its tiny sensor - which is a common characteristic of ultrazoom bridge cameras.  

Like Wandalyn, I think that if you want the same range as your SX50HS, then the current version of that series, the SX70HS, would be the logical choice.  That has a range of 21-1365mm in FF terms, so it would exceed the range of the SX50HS with its 24-1200 range. That said, you will have arguably less control as this model has lost the exposure compensation dial and the flash hotshoe. Still, it should fit within your budget since you say you have a limit of $800.

Another alternative is to go for a larger sensor superzoom.  In this case the PowerShot GIIIX which sports the 1" sensor (about 4x the area of the PS SX##HS series. It has a zoom range of 24-600mm in equivalent terms, so less zoom vs. better sensor, with resultant higher resolution and dynamic range.  It does not have a built-in viewfinder, just a rear LCD panel but you can get an attachment that does give that function.  That may not fit within your budget, you need to do some research there.

If you were to go to the next sensor size up again, you are looking at a DSLR, and that means getting a separate body and lenses.  While the sensor will be significantly larger, you will need to get multiple lenses to cover a significant range that will still fall far short of what you have had before.  So, something like the EF-S 18-55 IS STM, and for more reach the EF-S 55-250 STM, or for further reach, the EF 70-300 IS USM.  In metrics equivalent to FF terms, these would render a field of view (comparing to the SX series) of 19-88mm and 88-400, or 112-480mm.  You will get nowhere near the focal range of the PowerShot SX80, but much better resolution.  You are also likely looking at a significantly higher investment. Everything is about balancing options.

There is one other option but it would not be a Canon camera.  Sony makes the DSC-RX 10MkIV, a bridge camera with a 1" sensor that is considered to be the best in class.  It has a basic zoom range of 24-600mm, but has a feature that allows it to boost its zoom to 1200mm without significant image degradation - thus giving you the range you want with a superior sensor.  It has a fabulous 20MP sensor and brilliant Zeiss optics with environmental protection, image stabilization, full controls from automatic to full manual and can shoot stills up to 24 frames per second.  It has excellent video features too.    I have one of these and it is a truly brilliant camera. The thing is it will likely cost more than your budget and they are becoming very hard to find. You get what you pay for...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

The Canon Rebel series is the entry level to dslrs, and you can get one of those as a bundle with a zoom lens that will fit your budget. Mirrorless is coming in strong right now but will probably be more expensive for you. On an interchangeable lens camera you won't be able to get the super-zoom capability of the PowerShot. The trade-off is that you will get better image quality with a dslr--you will get used to working with the more limited range of zoom (and then later can buy other lenses to complement what you have). If, however, your priority is the super-zoom capability, then you should consider a newer model of PowerShot. If you purchase through a camera equipment company (which I highly recommend), their reps can help you choose an appropriate first lens. Before you shop though, you need to learn about the difference between an APS-C "crop sensor" camera like the Rebels and a full frame camera (which will cost you significantly more), and the conversion factor of "35mm equivalent" for Canon's EF-S lenses which are made specifically for their APS-C cameras. When I bought my first dslr I was fortunate to have a friend who was an experienced photographer and who could advise me on my purchase which, in 2014, was a Canon 70D and an EF-S 15-85mm zoom (which has image stabilization--you definitely want IS) (35mm-equivalent of that lens is approximately 24-136mm). Any research you can do before your purchase will all factor in to your basic learning experience. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I am concerned by your statement: "Gresr (sic) zoom like I got from the PowerShot is also a must". 
The SX50 had a zoom with a massive range that was heavily linked to its tiny sensor - which is a common characteristic of ultrazoom bridge cameras.  

Like Wandalyn, I think that if you want the same range as your SX50HS, then the current version of that series, the SX70HS, would be the logical choice.  That has a range of 21-1365mm in FF terms, so it would exceed the range of the SX50HS with its 24-1200 range. That said, you will have arguably less control as this model has lost the exposure compensation dial and the flash hotshoe. Still, it should fit within your budget since you say you have a limit of $800.

Another alternative is to go for a larger sensor superzoom.  In this case the PowerShot GIIIX which sports the 1" sensor (about 4x the area of the PS SX##HS series. It has a zoom range of 24-600mm in equivalent terms, so less zoom vs. better sensor, with resultant higher resolution and dynamic range.  It does not have a built-in viewfinder, just a rear LCD panel but you can get an attachment that does give that function.  That may not fit within your budget, you need to do some research there.

If you were to go to the next sensor size up again, you are looking at a DSLR, and that means getting a separate body and lenses.  While the sensor will be significantly larger, you will need to get multiple lenses to cover a significant range that will still fall far short of what you have had before.  So, something like the EF-S 18-55 IS STM, and for more reach the EF-S 55-250 STM, or for further reach, the EF 70-300 IS USM.  In metrics equivalent to FF terms, these would render a field of view (comparing to the SX series) of 19-88mm and 88-400, or 112-480mm.  You will get nowhere near the focal range of the PowerShot SX80, but much better resolution.  You are also likely looking at a significantly higher investment. Everything is about balancing options.

There is one other option but it would not be a Canon camera.  Sony makes the DSC-RX 10MkIV, a bridge camera with a 1" sensor that is considered to be the best in class.  It has a basic zoom range of 24-600mm, but has a feature that allows it to boost its zoom to 1200mm without significant image degradation - thus giving you the range you want with a superior sensor.  It has a fabulous 20MP sensor and brilliant Zeiss optics with environmental protection, image stabilization, full controls from automatic to full manual and can shoot stills up to 24 frames per second.  It has excellent video features too.    I have one of these and it is a truly brilliant camera. The thing is it will likely cost more than your budget and they are becoming very hard to find. You get what you pay for...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That Sony is looking very interesting...while it's out of my general range, I am willing to spend that if it means getting the features I want and ability to grow with the camera.  That full manual mode is important for me if I am to improve as a photographer.  I've definitely added it to my list!

Be quick in deciding - Sony has apparently stopped producing them at the moment, and there is no sign at present of a replacement.  Those of us who have that are amazed, it is easily the best unit in its class and hugely popular.

Here are a couple of reviews:
Sony RX10 IV Review | If I Can Only Use ONE Camera, This Is It For Me (2018) - YouTube
Sony RX10 IV Camera: Ultimate Review - YouTube
Sony RX10 IV - A Forgotten Treasure! - YouTube this video it addresses the clear image zoom feature that allows shooting at up to 1200mm equivalent.

Good luck! 

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks! It looks like a pretty good fit for my needs so I ordered one (hopefully - Amazon had it while most other places are sold out - I have a feeling it may be canceled though).  At least to have one on hand if I don't something a better fit for me!

I am glad you have a solution that will work for you.  If you are happy that this has resolved your issue, can you please mark a post as a resolution, so others will not continue to try to resolve this.

cheers, TREVOR

I definitely once I have it in hand and it seems to be a good fit!  My fingers are still crossed my order won't be canceled 🤞

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The PowerShot is quick too - I'd like that on anything I upgrade to.

Gresr zoom like I got from the Powershot is also a must"

From that statement I would absolutely go for a new Powershot.  The top models are outstanding. Otherwise, IMHO, don't buy a Rebel DSLR like the SLx line. Instead get a R series mirrorless camera. It is the future, DSLR is not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements