cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long exposure Time Lapse with Canon SL2(200D)

AlexisLem
Apprentice

Hi,

I want to make a Time Lapse with long exposure on my Canon SL2 and I know that it's work on others Canon DSLR, but I have not been able to get an exposure lower than 1/30 in the Time Lapse mode. So I would want to know if I'm doing something wrong or that's just how the camera is made.
If it's really impossible to get it lower than 1/30 due to a software restriction, I would want to know how to send a request feature to Canon.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

I would like to take a time lapse video of stars at night, so I need to be able to open the shutter for twenty seconds or so at regualar intervals. In time lapse mode, the camera will not allow a shutter speed less that the recording frame rate per second. Of course this makes sense for video, but is a needless restriction for time lapse video, which is merely multiple stills over an extended period of time.  

Make sure your interval is longer than your shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I set the time lapse interval to take one shot every hour, and I still can't get the shutter open longer than a 30th of a second.

My advice still stands.

@kvbarkley wrote:

My advice still stands.

According to the instruction manual the exposure is automatic in time-lapse mode.  But, I fail to see how that makes a difference if you set the camera to Manual exposure.  I guess I need to test it with an actual camera.

Using a remote shutter switch works, too.  After focusing the camera, set the lens to MF and the camera to Continuous Drive mode shooting.  Lock the shutter [ON] on the remote shutter switch, and fire away.  This type of operation will continue until you unlock the shutter button on the remote switch.  You will need to build the movie from the individual frames in a computer.

Be aware that this can be a lot of wear and tear on some cameras.  The image sensor may begin to overheat.  Using an Intervalometer allows you to space out the shots over more time, which allows the sensor to rest and cool off.  Once again, you would need to build the movie in a computer when using an intervalometer.

Read my reply up above, the camera uses a type of movie format to build a series of movie frames, *not* a series of still images.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Read my reply up above, the camera uses a type of movie format to build a series of movie frames, *not* a series of still images.

Right.  It seems using time-lapse mode is not going to work with long exposure shutter speeds, apparently.  I wired remote shutter or intervalometer and post processing seems to be the only option.

I still do not understand imposing a limitation on shutter speed for a time lapse, though. A slower shutter speed opens the door to shutter angles greater than 360 degrees.  The limitation makes sense when shooting video, but not for a time-lapse.

Thanks for all the input.

Announcements