cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logical upgrade from EOS 80D

chichi23
Apprentice

Hi all, I’m hoping to get some recommendations on what camera(s) I should look at for upgrading my 80D.

I primarily shoot street and event/gig photography so I’m ideally looking for something fast and lightweight (or at least not much heavier/bulkier than the 80D) and also something that handles low light well!

I’m not too concerned about the video quality as I have other cameras for video, stills only recommendations please!

EF preferred but open to RF, just don’t have the money for an R5 and replacing all my lenses though so budget is mid range <£1500ish. Experience level is hobbyist to semi-pro haha

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would look at the EOS R10 or EOS R7.   Assuming you have EF or EF-S lenses, you'll be able to use those lenses with an adapter (EF to RF).    For low-light, be sure you're using a lens with minimum aperture of f/2.8 or wider.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I think you mean a maximum aperture of F/2.8 or faster. The minimum aperture is the lenses' smallest aperture ie F/16 or F/22. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Your current EF lenses can be adapted via the EF-RF Mount adapter. So there is no need to start from scratch. What lenses do you currently have a mix of EF and EF-S lenses. Or EF lenses only. Or just EF-S lenses only. Do you want Full Frame or are you going to stay with APS-C. The EOS R7 and EOS R10 are good APS-C cameras. The EOS R7 has IBIS which will help with unstabilized lenses. The EOS R8 which is Full Frame. If you have Full Frame EF lenses. The camera will switch to APS-C mode cropping the image size down to the APS-C image area. Do you have fast aperture lenses. Ie F/2.8 maximum aperture lenses or faster for low light. This will help significantly in low light conditions.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@chichi23,

You have received excellent advice.  A new full frame camera only makes sense if the majority of your lenses are EF.  If EF-S, I'd stick with camera based on an APS-C sensor.  You lose too much resolution using an EF-S lens on a full frame body.  They guys have recommended MILC body's.  There is no reason not to buy mirrorless.  Its getting more affordable all the time and is the new standard. 

You'll need to tell us more about the lenses you own?  This will help with our recommendations.  An R7 would be a substantial upgrade coming from an 80D.  It also hits on the low end of your price point which translates into extra batteries, a control ring and UHS-II SD cards which you will need.  

You won't have any issues adapting EF lenses to an RF body.  Even 3rd party lenses work very well for still photography.  For video, I would recommend Canon glass or newer RF only. 

Equally important is what Ricky and Demetrius pointed out in regard to low light performance.  While the R7's ISO is dramatically better than the 80D, you will still need glass with a maximum f2.8 or better for event/gig photography and for nighttime street shoots.    In situations where you won't blind your subjects, note the R7 does not have a built in flash so be mindful of this.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports thanks mentioning that the R7 doesn't have a built-in flash. I forgot to ask the OP if they use a speedlite. If they use a speedlite on an R series camera. The AF Assist Beam will be emitted by Intermittent Flashes (disco flash) even if the speedlite has a choice between IR and Intermittent Flashes (disco flash).

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements