cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

Ewellman
Contributor

I am looking to jump into the DSLR market.  I am upgrading from a SX10 IS point and shoot which I use fairly exclusively in manual settings.  I am looking to get into many different types of photography including: landscape, time lapse, star trail, action sports (both indoor and outdoor), and a general goto camera.

I do not work as a professional by any means, nor do I get out every weekend to shoot pictures.  However, in the coming years, I will be doing a lot of traveling (camping, touring other cities, backpacking, etc) so it will get used a lot more heavily.  I am looking to try and keep the whole purchase under 2k.

I have read many posts across the internet on the subject saying one side or the other.  I also have read rumors of new cameras coming out in early 2013.  I have family members that already have canon lenses that I could borrow, I just dont know which ones they exactly have.  Eventually I would be looking to make my own collection though.

Cameras that I have been considering are the 7d,60d, or the t4i.

I like the shooting speed of the 7d and can afford the cost, but will have to settle with the kit lens that comes with it for a while.

I like the 60D because I have heard a lot of good reviews on the image quality and the pictures I have seen of sky photography.  (I know this has a lot to do with the lens as well).

Then the t4i because of it realatively inexpensiveness and I could buy an extra lens or 2.

I would like to keep my sx10 but can trade it in for the loyalty program maybe?

23 REPLIES 23

Sounds like the consensus is 'save money on the body, and get good lenses'... but I think another important takeaway is what jstntym said:

@jstntym wrote:

The most important factor is the one behind the camera, great gear without the skills really won't suffice..

Make sure you understand the theory of "lens cropping" before buying any new DSLR body.

Se my post on this subject in this thread: http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/7d-or-5d-that-is-my-question/m-p/2179#U2179

Would these be good lenses to start with (Choose 2)?

Canon Telephoto EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0 Autofocus Lens

Would be trying to keep lens cost to between 1000-1500, then the rest of the money could be put towards a body.  I would like to try and avoid paying more than 1k for any 1 lens just because of the limitations it would bring to the overall set up.  I do have plans to buy more lenses in the future, just not the near future.

@Ewellman wrote:

I would like to try and avoid paying more than 1k for any 1 lens just because of the limitations it would bring to the overall set up. 

I'm not sure if this is a good strategy; you could end up short-changing yourself by getting two okay lenses rather than one great lens.

Typical lenses pros buy once as their "go to" or 'walkaround' lens are the 24-105mm f/4 L IS or the 24-70mm f/2.8 L.  

@Ewellman wrote:

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

Its not a bad lens, from what I hear.  It comes as a kit lens with the 7D, FYI, so it actually sells for very cheap 'used' (possibly in very new condition from photographers who upgrade bodies with the 7D kit and never need to even use this lens).  Since it comes with the 7D, its also the lens that advanced hobbyists, etc sell as they move up in skill and equipment.  Budgeting around $200-250 instead of MSRP might give you a lot more flexibility.

Not sure what happened with that last post so ill try to remember what I had typed.

The reason I don't want to spend more than 1k on a lens is to try and get 2 lenses to keep my options open for both the distance that I shoot sports and a regular use lens.  I was hoping to spend around 1500 for the pair of lenses and then upgrade or get more as I get the funds and figure out the lenses that I want/need.  I just don't want to lock myself into just one lens then have to wait several months till I can get another.  Now if money wasn't a concern or I already had a camera body, then I would gladly choose 1 very nice lens and maybe get another, but as I do not have a body, or any lenses of my own, im at the all too familiar conundrum of which lenses to get for the little money that I have to spend.

So if I spend 1200 on 1 lens, then another 5-600 on a body, there goes my budget just like that and I will be stuck with the 1 lens.  I would much rather have 2 to have some variety in case I can not borrow from my family members.

when i bought my first camera, i bought it as a kit

costco had a sale for a t2i with an 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200

the kit also came with a bag (still use it!) and some other things (cf card..)

that might be a good start for you

the cost came to juuuust under $1k out the door

that got me started

@Ewellman wrote:

Not sure what happened with that last post so ill try to remember what I had typed.

The reason I don't want to spend more than 1k on a lens is to try and get 2 lenses to keep my options open for both the distance that I shoot sports and a regular use lens.  I was hoping to spend around 1500 for the pair of lenses and then upgrade or get more as I get the funds and figure out the lenses that I want/need.  I just don't want to lock myself into just one lens then have to wait several months till I can get another.  Now if money wasn't a concern or I already had a camera body, then I would gladly choose 1 very nice lens and maybe get another, but as I do not have a body, or any lenses of my own, im at the all too familiar conundrum of which lenses to get for the little money that I have to spend.

So if I spend 1200 on 1 lens, then another 5-600 on a body, there goes my budget just like that and I will be stuck with the 1 lens.  I would much rather have 2 to have some variety in case I can not borrow from my family members.

I still think this would be straddling the fence, and you'll end up a bit hindered in both the distance sports shots and regular use.

@JELPhotography wrote:
when i bought my first camera, i bought it as a kit

costco had a sale for a t2i with an 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200

the kit also came with a bag (still use it!) and some other things (cf card..)

that might be a good start for you

the cost came to juuuust under $1k out the door

that got me started

I had a similar start.  Amazon's deal/discount was that the 55-250mm was thrown in for free, so that covered me with at least the ability to shoot further away.

Ewellman: if you had to, a second-hand kit lens from the T#i series (18-55mm focal length) can be bought for $100 or less, and that would be a very decent "regular" lense as you're learning photography and how to use your DSLR.  Even the 55-250mm is cheap and chould get you started with distance sports photos if its outdoors and somewhat bright.  

As I think more about starting out with photography, I want to reiterate to not caught up in all this gear and the nicer lenses too early.  When you first get your DSLR, you'll have plenty to get used to already, and starting out with a simpler lens like the basic kit lens will actually give you a much better appreciation and thoughtfulness about what you need with your next lens.

As I think more about starting out with photography, I want to reiterate to not caught up in all this gear and the nicer lenses too early.  When you first get your DSLR, you'll have plenty to get used to already, and starting out with a simpler lens like the basic kit lens will actually give you a much better appreciation and thoughtfulness about what you need with your next lens.

that's good advice

@JELPhotography wrote:

that's good advice

So would the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS be a good one to start with?  I know its a kit lens, but Im not looking for a status symbol of the L lenses.  Those will come with time.

that's a good somewhat-mid-range lens

the 55-200 (kit lens) has some decent range - i think they also have a 70-300 (??)

if you want just mid-range though, that would be good - i think i have that lens..

i don't know if you do alot on ebay, but check for these lenses on ebay - first thing i did when i bought the t2i kit was put the 55-200 up for sale on ebay (i already knew i wanted another lens - for use in astrophotography - still have that lens)

also, you'll be happy w/ the 7D --- i am 🙂

the 7Dmk2 will "probably" be coming out first half of next year - when it does, the price on the 7Dmk1 will come down -- keep an eye open on craigslist and ebay..
Announcements