cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for Alaskan cruise

Rodneywalker
Apprentice

So recently just picked up my first actual camera,  a Canon rebel t3i. For my price point and wanting a beginner camera this seemed to be what many recommend. 

Now, I'm a little over a week away from going on an Alaskan cruise where I plan to take it and really mess around with it and try to learn,  but I'm wanting to take alot of landscaping photos and wildlife if we see any. Will the 18-55mm lens work for taking photos from the side of the ship or is there a better lens I should pick up? I'll admit now, because I'm just a beginner at all this my price point is pretty low, as I'm not wanting to go over $120. Any information is greatly appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2

normadel
Authority
Authority

The 18-55 EF-S is a great focal length range to start with. Wide-angle to short telephoto. There have been nine versions of this lens, the newest and best two are the IS STM models. They offer full-time manual focus without switching the lens from Autofocus. These are the ones to look for. They can be had for well under $100.00 from used dealers. I have three of them. 

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

While I agree with my colleague as far as the 18-55 goes for walk-around use, however if you can find one, I would suggest the EF-S 18-135 STM or USM lens because it will give you a much wider range to magnify items that are further away.  Both the STM and USM can be manually focused in AF mode if you need to, but these lenses are very fast and precise to focus.   You could look for a second-hand one on KEH.com - they are rated and usually come with a warranty.  Canon used to sell them through their refurbished lens site, but I have not seen them for a while now.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements