cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens compatibility with 90D

timmyleeturner
Contributor

I was wondering if there were any known issues between the Canon 90D and the 

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens.  I've worked on obtaining sharp focus for about 6000 pictures and cannot accomplish it.  Switch to the new 18-135 Nano and they are tak sharp.  Switch the lens back to my old 70D, tak sharp.  I've tried every setting I could find related to focus. Over exposure is a serious problem too, I'm sending it back to Amazon if there are no known issues.

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There has been nothing specific about this lens and the 90D, but this is the older model of lens. You might try the II version,

I think you are confusing the L and non-L versions. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it's been an awesome tool.  Thousands and thousands of sharp photos on my Rebels and 70Ds, but struggling with the 90D.  I doubt I could afford a new one.  Would probably be more suitable to return to the 70D if the camera has anything to do with it.  Can Lenses be checked by local photographyshops and calibrated or whatever they do?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@timmyleeturner wrote:

I was wondering if there were any known issues between the Canon 90D and the 

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens.  I've worked on obtaining sharp focus for about 6000 pictures and cannot accomplish it.  Switch to the new 18-135 Nano and they are tak sharp.  Switch the lens back to my old 70D, tak sharp.  I've tried every setting I could find related to focus. Over exposure is a serious problem too, I'm sending it back to Amazon if there are no known issues.

Lens compatibility and incompatibility with the 90D is a hot topic on YouTube.  I suggest you ignore it.

Under and over exposures most likely have nothing to do with the lens, and everything to do with your exposure settings, AF settings, and metering settings.  Are you by chance using Spot AF and/or Spot Metering?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's white.

I have tried spot metering in an attempt to focus, but normally shoot in partial or evaluative.

@timmyleeturner wrote:

I have tried spot metering in an attempt to focus, but normally shoot in partial or evaluative.

I think using Spot AF and/or Spot Metering is a really bad idea when shooting handheld.  All too often, people do not fully understand where the AF or Metering point is actually located.  Stick to Evaluative Metering, and make sure you acquire a locked AF point.

There is lots talk on YouTube regarding lens compatibility with the 90D, all of which I find to be utter nonsense.  Do some lenses perform better or worse than others?  Yes, some do.  But, those same lenses also perform the same way on any camera body you put them on.

Are you returning the 90D?  I think the 90D seems to be a bit too much camera for some people.  Just as it brings out the flaws and weaknesses in lenses, it also reveals the flaws and weaknesses in photographers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You may be right, it may just be me. After a million action shots I probably just need more practice.  I'm sure glad my customers are still buying the shots taken with the other camera.

mplaforest
Contributor

I was able to get through to Canon's Engering support team to discuss an issue with my Canon 90d. It appears, canon is aware of some bugs with the current firmware version and are working on a release. In my case the camera gets confused about the lens type when I turn on the flash. Canon said they are hoping to release a firmware update soon.

Announcements