cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens EF-S 18-135 mm 3.5-5.6 with canon 70D not focusing

RyanG
Contributor

I ve tried two different 18-135 lens with my EOS 70D canon but it seemed not to focus. I tried both auto and manual focus but none of them are working.one was the STM version and the other one was the USM. I do have 5 other lenses that works perfectly with my canon 70D. 

anyone has a solution for me ? please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RyanG
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your input. reading about the adapter got me thinking to take a closer look to connecting point between the lens and the camera. I realized that one of the little goldfish metal thingy was stuck half way though. it was what was causing the issue. once I unstuck it "voila" my lens was able to focus and work properly......yay

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely.  Canon released a firmware update for the 70D and most other models a while back to resolve this precise issue.  So go to the Canon support page and download and install the latest firmware and you should be good to go.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello Tronhard. thanks for your tips but I'm afraid it didn't solve my issue. my  canon had the latest version already and I did reinstall it again but nothing changed. or is it possible that both lenses are damaged?( I strongly doubt that tho)

You can't focus MANUALLY with either lens?   Both the STM and USM are "Focus-by-wire" lenses, meaning even manual focus does not work unless the camera is turned-on and not asleep.

Have you tried these lenses on another camera?

hello Normadel. I went this weekend to friend who also has a canon(Ti6 to be specific ) and they lenses worked on it...and yes even in manual the focus doesn't work. I set it up in manual mode, manual focus on the lens itself with quick shot and still. this morning I receive a 3rd lens 18-135mm 2.5-5.6 but this one is a "IS" version. although the auto focus doesn't work I was able to manually adjust it with this lens. 

I hope this maybe help you help to know what is wrong with my cam because I really do wanna be able to have an auto focus on it..

thank you

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I'm sorry to learn that has not resolved your issue. Given the likelihood that it is not happening on both lenses, we can look at the next element on the sequence of connection.  So, as you using a EF-RF adapter with your lenses, can you advise if you are using a Canon one?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello Tronhard, 

im sorry but Im not really sure about the adapter but im not using any extra beside the lens itself and the body canon. all the lenses are EFS 

and this is more information 

I went this weekend to friend who also has a canon(Ti6 to be specific ) and they lenses worked on it...and yes even in manual the focus doesn't work. I set it up in manual mode, manual focus on the lens itself with quick shot and still. this morning I receive a 3rd lens 18-135mm 2.5-5.6 but this one is a "IS" version. although the auto focus doesn't work I was able to manually adjust it with this lens. 

I hope this maybe help you help to know what is wrong with my cam because I really do wanna be able to have an auto focus on it..

thank you

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"So, as you using a EF-RF adapter with your lenses, can you advise if you are using a Canon one?"

A little too early there Trevor. 😊 The 70D is a DSLR not a mirrorless. To the OP, I think you are in for a service call to Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

RyanG
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your input. reading about the adapter got me thinking to take a closer look to connecting point between the lens and the camera. I realized that one of the little goldfish metal thingy was stuck half way though. it was what was causing the issue. once I unstuck it "voila" my lens was able to focus and work properly......yay

Announcements