cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a new T5i and am having trouble getting the flash up when I press the button. What to do?

kboyce
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

Check your manual to see if it ONLY pops up in AUTO mode if it needs to. It will most likely pop up in all the other modes by pressing the button with the camera on & awake. (based on the cameras I've owned).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Check your manual to see if it ONLY pops up in AUTO mode if it needs to. It will most likely pop up in all the other modes by pressing the button with the camera on & awake. (based on the cameras I've owned).

What cicopo says.  My T3i is this way.  Flash only pops up via the button when Mode Dial is in one of the Creative Zone settings (that is P through A-DEP).  I suspect the T5i behaves in a similar fashion.

Phill

righto. I appreciate your response!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are a few things that can cause this.

The flash mounting is on a spring.  There's a solenoid that releases a catch and the spring should pop up the flash.  

There is a very tiny micro-switch on the camera's hot-shoe and it's purpose is to detect if there is an external flash mounted on the camera.  If it belives there is a flash mounted, then it wont pop-up the built-in flash.  That micro-switch can sometimes get stuck.  The rails on the hot-shoe have a couple of leaf-springs on them.  The micro-swtich hides under the leaf spring on the left side.  A tooth-pick may be able to wiggle it loose if it is jammed.

The hinge mechanism on the pop-up assembly can also get jammed... such that the release catch engages, but the flash wont pop up.  If this happens then take your finger and _gently_ tug the flash up as you press the release button.  Once you get the flash assmebly raised, you may need to clean the hinges.  A drop of denatured alcohol may work to clean it if it's got anything gummy in it.  Do not use oil as this will just attract dirt and gum it up again.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Ah, got it, thank you!

Announcements