cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to manually turn ON the built in FLASH on my Canon Rebel T3i?

parkerhouse
Contributor

Is there a way to manually turn ON the built in FLASH on my Canon Rebel T3i? I can't find the place to do this.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can also use "Program" mode.  Program mode allows the camera to pick the initial settings, but unlike Auto mode where you cannot override exposure decisions, you CAN override exposure decisions in Program mode if you so choose.  

If you choose Program mode, press the button to pop-up the flash, and then don't bother to over-ride the camera's exposure decisions then it's going to work a lot like full auto-mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, parkerhouse!

To operate the flash manually, you first need to have the camera in any one of the Creative Zone modes, such as P, Tv, Av, and M.  Take a moment to find the flash button, which is located on the front of the camera, just behind where the lens is mounted.  This button has an icon above it resembling a zig-zagging lightning bolt.  Pressing this button will pop up the flash, and any photos taken from then on will use the flash.

When you no longer wish to use the flash, just push the flash back down to lock it.  It will stay down until you press the flash button again, or when you find yourself in one of the Basic Zone modes and the camera determines that flash is needed.

This information can be found on page 90 of your camera's instruction manual.

We hope this helps!

Danny,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have been trying to use the "auto" mode for close ups and also constantly using the flash. I am new to this camera and still trying to figure it out. I guess the answer is that I cannot keep the flash "on" in an auto mode. Thanks again. I will give that a try.

If you would like more control over flash firing without having to sacrifice the convenience of the Auto mode, we would recommend using the Creative Auto mode, denoted on the mode dial as CA.  This mode keeps the camera in control of the exposure settings, which might be tricky for beginners, but it allows you to have control over certain elements, including the flash.

To use it, put the camera in CA mode, press the "Q" button on the back of the camera, and on the menu that pops up, you'll find an option to set the flash to be used only when needed (Auto flash), on all shots (Flash on), or on no shots (Flash off).

This particular mode is explained in greater detail on page 56, with the flash-specific section being found on page 58.

Enjoy the shoot!

You can also use "Program" mode.  Program mode allows the camera to pick the initial settings, but unlike Auto mode where you cannot override exposure decisions, you CAN override exposure decisions in Program mode if you so choose.  

If you choose Program mode, press the button to pop-up the flash, and then don't bother to over-ride the camera's exposure decisions then it's going to work a lot like full auto-mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

FOUND IT~ THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Thank you, Tim! It's a learning process! Hope I can remember it next time! 😉
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements