cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a canon camera that is 4k and can be used for live streaming with OBS passed one hour??

Interpolfallen
Apprentice

I have used my t6i which has continuously stayed on for passed 1.5 hours. But recently got a T8i and it shuts down after 30 min or so. Even with auto shut off disabled. I would like to know if there’s a 4K canon camera that can stay on over an hour while live streaming. 

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am sure any of the Cinema cameras will since they are designed for video.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 30-Minute time limit is a result of putting the camera into a video mode and then recording video to a memory card.  Just about any of the camera bodies with “Clean HDMI” output should be able to operate for an hour without shutting down due to overheating, provided you are not recording the video to the internal memory card.

Being able to output 4K video is an entirely different feature, one which I believe the R5 is capable of doing.  I am uncertain if the R6 is capable of 4K output on the HDMI port.  

If you are in the US, then I suggest that you contact Canon USA.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I’m using it for my small church, unfortunately r5 is out of the budget. My t6i never shut off. And the T8i is connected to my Mac via 4K cam link. And on video mode but not recording at all. Using it as pass through or live view. I have disabled auto shut off but I someone on here mentioned to half press the shutter to restart the timer, I noticed that did work. But unfortunately it pops up info on the screen when streaming for a quick second. May have to return it and get something else. 

My T6i never shut off.

You are using the camera bodies in an unsupported mode of operation.  None of the Rebel bodies support “Clean HDMI” output.  Work arounds work on some cameras, but not on others. 

Scroll way down to the bottom of the page at the link just below and click on “Clean HDMI” for more information regarding cameras that support “Clean HDMI” and how to set it up and use it.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility 

Interpolfallen
Apprentice

Thank you so much for the information!!! Looks like t6i and T8i  aren’t part of the clean hdmi compatibility list. But t6i I can confirm does let you removed information from the screen (clean hdmi) on video mode to live stream for 1.5 hrs+ of course I don’t recommend it since it’s not meant for that It can potentially damage the camera. The T8i will shut down even if auto shut off is disabled. As a safety shut off feature( unless you half press the shutter to reset the 30 minute timer). And based off the “clean hdmi” compatibility list at the bottom of this link down below. I will be going with a different camera for live streaming at my church. Thank you again for the information!!! Hope this helps someone in the same boat as me. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility

You can always switch to a different camera whenever you need to press the shutter. 

Announcements