cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS on R5 grayed out with RF70-200 lens

DaBrownCO
Enthusiast

In looking through the forum, it seems IBIS is not available if the lens has IS option. Can someone explain why this may be the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just to second that.  From what I've heard, with an IS lens, the IBIS does work, but it's not separately switchable.  The switch on the lens controls both.

Which seems weird, but I can imagine that doing IS would be very tricky when there are two separate mechanisms (the lens and IBIS) both fighting to stabilise the image; unless they're very carefuly co-ordinated.  I guess that Canon has decided to focus on that part.  Which is fine by me.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I see the same for my RF24-70F2.8 IS

any lens with mechanical IS switch will grey out the IS option in the menu.  The switch acts as the overall off/on switch.  The menu based IS is for lenses like a prime lense that are not lens stabilized so the IS menu is to turn off the IBIS.

I believe that if you have IS on lens, either both lens/IBIS is on or both are off.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Just to second that.  From what I've heard, with an IS lens, the IBIS does work, but it's not separately switchable.  The switch on the lens controls both.

Which seems weird, but I can imagine that doing IS would be very tricky when there are two separate mechanisms (the lens and IBIS) both fighting to stabilise the image; unless they're very carefuly co-ordinated.  I guess that Canon has decided to focus on that part.  Which is fine by me.

Thanks Atticus and Jaewoo! Your info is very helpful.

Atticus, that's what my assumption too is about the two mechanisms fighting each other. It makes perfect sense.

JaeWoo, it is good to know that when I turn IS off on the lens, it is off everywhere. That means I don't need to go into the menu when I put the camera on a tripod.

Announcements