cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to know which older Canon DSLRS have HDMI and are webcam compatible with Windows 7.

canon2u
Contributor

It is REALLY hard finding this searching as there are so many affiliate marketers begging for Amazon clicks flogging/recommending new equipment.  Does anyone know of a list?  Canon's own software doesn't even provide an updated list as it says the EOS 5D (first one) is compatible!  It didn't even shoot video! 

And if the Canon DSLR has HDMI but is not compatible with Canon's webcam utility can it be used with another driver?  Some people claim it can.  I'll be using an external mic on my computer so mic input isn't needed though it would certainly be a nice feature. 

And is there a fixed focus Canon lens that is particularly good for webcam use or would any portrait lens work?  I don't need extreme bokeh and want a reasonable depth of field so I'll probably need lots of light to allow for a smaller aperture to get that depth of field.  All I need is about 3' or 1 meter with my upper body filling the height of the frame so I don't go out of focus if I move around a bit.  I just realized it wouldn't even need to be autofocus!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The list of Canon cameras with “Clean HDMI” can be found at this link.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=art170224 

Some users have found work arounds, and claim that a given camera has clean HDMI when, in fact it does not.

I do not know how old you have in mind when it comes to older cameras.  It is safe to assume that the older bodies do not have “Clean HDMI”.  The oldest body that I am aware of is the 7D2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

BTW, the EOS WebCam Utility may not be compatible with Windows 7.  I am going to stick my neck out and say definitely NOT supported.

As for a lens recommendation, I would want a lens with a distance scale, which is a feature that is not typically included with budget priced lenses.  Check out Rokinon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah it didn't seem to install very well!  Oh well, guess I'm off to search for another solution.  Any suggestions for other drivers? 

And thank you for mentioning "clean HDMI".  I had never heard the term before but it makes perfect sense not to have your screen cluttered with stuff intended for your camera display.  For those of you who are not familiar with it this page explains it well.  https://streamyard.com/blog/live-streaming-equipment/clean-hdmi-for-live-streams/

canon2u
Contributor

On this page
https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility
There is a (very poorly laid out) list of supposedly compatible models. 
Here it is if written by a sane person (in order so models can be quickly found).  One day web designers will learn logic and layout.  Until then they need to be corrected incessantly, like mentally slow children.
EOS-1D C
EOS-1D X
EOS-1D X Mark II
EOS-1D X Mark III
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 5D Mark IV
EOS 5DS
EOS 5DS R
EOS 6D
EOS 6D Mark II
EOS 7D
EOS 7D Mark II