cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not open my RAW pictures in DPP and then convert them into JPEG.

Maty_K123
Apprentice

I accidentally took my pictures in RAW and now I need them in JPEG.When I try to convert them in DPP it just says ERROR.

There are big Xs in picture places.What do I do?Thanks in advance.:)

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Maty_K123 wrote:

I accidentally took my pictures in RAW and now I need them in JPEG.When I try to convert them in DPP it just says ERROR.

There are big Xs in picture places.What do I do?Thanks in advance.:)

The bix Xs sound like DPP cannot access the files.  Did you download the files from your camera to your PC? 

Which version of DPP are you using, and what model of camera?  What Operating System are you using?  Try to provide enough information so that someone can try to reproduce your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes I downloaded pictures from my camera to my PC.I am using DPP 3.11.10.0, Canon Eos 1200D and Windows 7.

@Maty_K123 wrote:

Yes I downloaded pictures from my camera to my PC.I am using DPP 3.11.10.0, Canon Eos 1200D and Windows 7.

Start by upgrading to DPP 3.15.0.0.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Uninstall Digital Photo Professional 3 and install Digital Photo Professional 4 instead.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_6d.aspx?type=...

@Peter wrote:

Uninstall Digital Photo Professional 3 and install Digital Photo Professional 4 instead.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_6d.aspx?type=...

You're right: there does appear to be a CMYK option in DPP4. I looked for such a thing yesterday and couldn't find it. Good catch!

One thing though: You don't have to uninstall DPP3 to install DPP4. The two versions can co-exist. (However, DPP4 requires a 64-bit operating system.)

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Peter wrote:

You're right: there does appear to be a CMYK option in DPP4. I looked for such a thing yesterday and couldn't find it. Good catch!

One thing though: You don't have to uninstall DPP3 to install DPP4. The two versions can co-exist. (However, DPP4 requires a 64-bit operating system.)

Exactly. I use both because I also have a D30 that I play around with sometimes. The best with Digital Photo Professional is the Digital Lens Optimizer. Too bad no other software is able to use that feature.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Ay any rate, Adobe DNG Converter is a better solution than DPP. 

Adobe DNG Converter is great. It is possible to copy the lens profiles from that software and use it in RawTherapee instead.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

None of that info is required if you d/l the free Adobe DNG Converter.

"Raw file formats are extremely popular in digital photography workflows because they offer creative professionals greater creative control. However, cameras can use many different raw formats — the specifications for which are not publicly available — which means that not every raw file can be read by a variety of software applications. As a result, the use of these proprietary raw files as a long-term archival solution carries risk, and sharing these files across complex workflows is even more challenging.

The solution to this is Digital Negative (DNG), a publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras. By addressing the lack of an open standard for the raw files created by individual camera models, DNG helps ensure that photographers will be able to access their files in the future."

Do a Google search for "free DNG Converter".  It is from Adobe so you know it is the best there is.

Or shoot Dual ISO and use cr2hdr to make DNG files Smiley Very Happy

"Raw file formats are extremely popular in digital photography workflows because they offer creative professionals greater creative control. However, cameras can use many different raw formats — the specifications for which are not publicly available — which means that not every raw file can be read by a variety of software applications. As a result, the use of these proprietary raw files as a long-term archival solution carries risk, and sharing these files across complex workflows is even more challenging.

The solution to this is Digital Negative (DNG), a publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras. By addressing the lack of an open standard for the raw files created by individual camera models, DNG helps ensure that photographers will be able to access their files in the future."

Do a Google search for "free DNG Converter".  It is from Adobe so you know it is the best there is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Come down off your high horse, Ernie. Turning to a third-party RAW codec, even if it's from the unsurpassed Adobe, is like carrying coals to Newcastle. The programmers who wrote DPP may not have been the brightest stars in the sky, but one thing they didn't have to do is reverse engineer Canon's RAW format. The OP's version of DPP is older than his camera. In all probability, all he needs is an upgrade.

FWIW, one of the significant advantages of DPP is that it retains all changes to the image in the image file itself (unlike Lightroom and Photoshop). I doubt that the Adobe converter would recognize those changes.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

"... all he needs is an upgrade."

Less upgrading is necessary with DNG Converter. No matter what camera. No matter what brand.  But if you love to upgrade, by all means get DPP.

"...  one of the significant advantages of DPP is that it retains all changes to the image in the image file itself ..."

One may see this as an advantage or not. That is up to the user.  But IMHO, there are no advantages to DPP at all.  There are abilities but advantages...............?

"The programmers who wrote DPP may not have been the brightest stars in the sky, ..."

Yeah about a magnitude -5 !

But there is room for agreement in the stable. I guess.

I need to get busy and shoe my other horse. It is even taller than the last one was!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements