cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having trouble downloading to lightroom from my 5d mark iv, I downloaded the software

frieling
Apprentice

I downloaded the software and restarted my computer but my 5d mark iv will not download to Lightroom, I see the images when I press import but after it looks like it is downloading it tells me it can not download to lightroom, thoughts.

20 REPLIES 20

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"esoteric features of Photoshop"

Photoshop haters!  Smiley Wink

Really? I've been around a bit in my time, lived abroad in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa for ~30 years, speak five or six languages, thought I knew it all. But I don't know anything. It's hard for me to comprehend a digital photographer hating Photoshop--unless they're a whole lot better than me and every photo comes out of the camera ready for publication!

"Photoshop haters!  Smiley Wink"

This was tongue in cheek and in English. It is a statement that is humorously meant and not seriously intended.  Do not take it verbatim.   It has become a catch phrase when somebody doesn't totally agree with your thoughts. And believe me I have many here on this forum.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, "... and in English." is also tongue in cheek! Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Photoshop haters!  Smiley Wink"

This was tongue in cheek and in English. It is a statement that is humorously meant and not seriously intended.  Do not take it verbatim.   It has become a catch phrase when somebody doesn't totally agree with your thoughts. And believe me I have many here on this forum.

It's a fact that there are quite a few vocal people in photo forums who don't like Adobe. The most commonly cited reason is the subscription model for CC. For the most part these are people who don't need Adobe CC. If they needed it, they would be paying for it, or at least for the photography subscription at $15 per month.

B from B,

"Ehhhh... "Ridicule" is too strong a word."

It seems several of you like to use, "too strong a word".  Must be a character flaw in your upbringing. But at any rate Lightroom needs no update it will handle the Mk IV.  It is ACR that requires the update.  A new ACR will work with LR CC and LR6 but probably not any previous version of LR.  BTW, it will not work with CS6 (PS).

This is Canon's fault. Not Adobe's!  Canon seems to think they need to make tiny changes to each CR2 of each new model. No other format does this, not tiff nor jpg. It is ridiculous. This nonsense extends to all 3rd party converters not just Adobe.

EB

It is not the CR2 format itself. Each camera needs to be profiled - In fact there is software around to let you do this for your own personal camera. Because of variations in the bayer array and filters you cannot just assume that the colors will be correct for any given camera even though the file format is the same.

There was a good luminous landscape article on this, but since it is now behind a paywall I cannot link to it.

I did find this on DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6497352654/get-more-accurate-color-with-camera-calibration-

I am not saying there isn't a technical reason for each camera's RAW file to be different and unreadable, maybe there is.  I am saying from years of experience with this stuff, there isn't a good reason for it. I don't buy the profile difference which they likely do but don't need to.

The fact you can create camera profiles any way you want sorta substantiates that.  Doesn't it?  It is also sorta silly that the extension remains CR2 but is unreadable.  What's up with that?  I haven't tried but DNG probably reads a Mk IV RAW file.

Adobe, usually, releases updates to ACR about 90 days apart.  Maybe four per year so that keeps them a little behind the curve.

But what do I know?  Not much.

EB

The file is perfectly readable. The software chooses not to since the colors and tone curves might not match. This info could probably be part of the RAW file, but no MFG does that.

OK but like I said it isn't necessary.  I know they do it but they don't have to.  If such changes, whatever they are, are required change the file extension!

EB

frieling
Apprentice
Thanks for the responses
Announcements