cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recharge battery w/o taking it out of T6s?

hKuenph
Enthusiast

Camery : Canon EOS T6s

My PC   : Windows 10 Home 64b. 1803

Question: How to recharge the battery of T6s without taking it out of the camery?

The camera has been connected to my PC by its micro USB cord.  I have not yet found any option for recharging the battery or any indication on the camera body.  

Thank you.

Kuen

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can't. The USB cable cannot charge the battery or even power the camera while it is plugged in.

Thank you, kvbarkley.

Does it mean that the battery must be taken out of the camera for recharging?

Thanks.

Kuen

Have you read the manual?  It's pretty clearly explained...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, you must take the battery out and use an external charger. One reason is that Canon uses relatively high voltage batteries - my T6S uses the 7.2 Volt LP-E17 - which is higher than the 5 V USB supplies. This makes it impractical to charge the battery directly from USB*. My Olympus TG-5, on the other hand, uses a 3.6 V battery so that it can be charged from USB, and in fact is the standard way to do it.

* Yes, I know all about step-up DC-DC converters, but to charge the relatively large capacity Canon batteries in a decent amount of time would take too much current from the USB.

Thank you, Kvbarkley.

Really appreciate the explanations why Canon does not recharge the battery directly with it in the camera body.  I have been using a Sony a7II since it was out. It recharges the battery diredtly from my PC or laptop whenever I download the images.  Convenient but Sony's battery is not so strong as Canon's. 

Thank you again.  Really appreciate.

Kuen 

@kvbarkley wrote:

You can't. The USB cable cannot charge the battery or even power the camera while it is plugged in.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Have you read the manual?  It's pretty clearly explained..."

Who buys a nice camera and doesn't even pop the manual.  This is right in the front of the manual. There is going to be a whole host of other things you won't know how to do I have a feeling.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements