cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lower exposure while doing long exposure shots.

hanitakashi
Apprentice

So I’m doing some night photography and I want some nice streaks of the head lights and tails lights of cars. So my shutter speed has to be long. However, my photo has too much exposure in them. Changing the shutter speed would fix that but I can’t cuz I need it to be long. My iso is at 100 (lowest setting) and my aperture is at f 3 (lowest setting). Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

larryc43230
Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you mean by "f 3 (lowest setting)"; I'm assuming that's a typo. Pretty much any aperture with a higher number (say f/16) would give you better results.

You might want to look into getting a neutral density (ND) filter. One of these (they come in several strengths) will cut down the light getting into the camera.

Larry

rs-eos
Elite

Assuming you’re at the lowest ISO value, you only have two options: Narrow the aperture; Use a neutral density (ND) filter.

I would recommend either a 3-stop or 6-stop ND. Though first narrow your aperture by that amount to see if that will have the desired outcome.

Note though that if using a 6-stop or stronger ND filter, your camera may have difficulty focusing. You may thus need to first focus without the filter attached, set to manual focus to lock focus, then attach the filter (this would require working on a tripod)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, hanitakashi!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just restating what others have said, a smaller f-stop number means more light (larger aperture opening) while a larger f-stop number means less light (smaller aperture opening). So you would want a larger f-stop number to let in less light in your case.

Announcements