Did you mean: 

How to clean terminals between lens and body

MANKAN928
Contributor
7D
17 REPLIES 17

ezpop
Rising Star

I used Q-tip and very little 99% isopropanol to clean the contacts. Not sure if it is right. But it works.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is something that is rarely a problem.  The gold contacts are fragile as the gold is very thin.  If you change lenses regularly, the contacts are probably "clean".  Why do you think they need to be cleaned?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

When set on shutter priority or aperture priority, the camera will frequently not fire. A message (Err 01) appears on the screen that says communication between lens and camera is faulty. Clean terminals. If I switch to a "P" setting, it will often work fine for a few exposures, then I get the same message. If I switch back to "Av" or "Tv", again it will work for a few exposures but then the message reappears. It seems to happen more with the 17-85 mm lens than the 10-22 mm. 

Might I suggest it is the lens and not the camera?  Has the lens been dropped or some other malady?  Recently?  Hmmmmm.

If you must clean use a qtip and denatured alcohol and be gentle.  Do not use a pencil eraser like some suggest.

You should clean the lens at the same time.  Hope it cures the problem for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It could well be the lens. But, it hasn't been dropped or even handled roughly. I've used the lenses for many years and only recently has the problem arisen. I have been reluctant to use any solvents on the contacts, but I will try a bit of alcohol. Do you think I should only clean the lens contacts and not those in the camera?

I cleaned both. 99% alcohol evaporated in seconds. Never any harm. If you worry, don't do it.

Thank you, ebiggs1. I appreciate your good help.

ezpop
Rising Star

This problem happens several times to my different camera combinations when I used the gears in very humid places. Several times in asia -different countries and twice in San Juan.

Watch out also for the temperature difference indoor and outdoor. This will cause condensation and thus the problem.

Are you thinking that condensation might appear on the surfaces of the contacts where I could see it or perhaps dry it out with a hair dryer? Or, are you thinking moisture may have gotten inside the lens somehow?

Announcements