Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access geolocation information

TimC
Contributor

Rebel EOS T6
Samsung Galaxy S9+

I can connect the camera to the phone wirelessly.

I can turn on the feature (on the phone) that begins the geolocation log.

How do get this information from the log on the phone to the photograph? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tim

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

What App are you using?

Camera Connect or EOS Remote

Only Camera Connect supports Geo-Location. 

Accuracy might depend on where you are when you transfer photos to the device.

I have an S9+ as well...  it was an experiment.  The phone is currently listed on craigslist and LetGo for sale as I prefer stock Android.  I'm waiting for the P3.

The Geo-Location feaure has to be turned on in Google Photos.  However, Samsung's track record as far as producing a working 8.0 oreo OS on it's "flagship" mobile device has been unreliable and spotty at best.  It would not surprise me if this feature didn't work at all.  The images have to be imported into Google Photos.  If you want to provide more details about your app and what you've tried thus far that would be helpful. 

ntp.png 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've only had the the T6 for a few weeks, and I have been trying to stick with the "on board" apps, bells and whistles. This means that I have been using the Canon Connect utility to start logging my location when I start out on a shoot (local area, trails, open desert, etc). I have been assuming that the app would create a datafile somewhere on my phone that I could then transfer to my computer and use a program such as GeoSetter to move the location date into the photos based on what time the picture was taken.
However, I just can't find that file!
I may try using a different trackler (I have been using "Open GPS" for a few years now to create tracks for GoogleEarth, based on my off road Jeep travels). I know I can pull that datafile from my phone, but I have to see if the data is compatable wiith GeoTagger,
In the end, I'll probably end up buying the GP-E2!

The "Location" Button will uplaod the current location to the camera which will save it with the pictures. The downside (from my reading of the manual) is that the location information is not updated until you press the button again, then the new current location is loaded to the camera, you seem to have to do this not for every picture but for each new location.

As for the other suggestion, that only works for pictures uploaded to google, then it uses the phones location at the time you uploaded the images, not the location where you took them. And While I don't use google photos, it is my understanding it only works for pictures taken by the phone, not your Canon.

Unfortunately, the T6 can't pull geo data from the phone. When you hit "Send location information" you get a popup that states "This function cannot be used with the currently connected camera." Maybe (ahem, Canon) the formware will be eventually updated that will allow this to happen, because I know many people dislike using 6 or 7 different third party software programs to acoomplish a task than can be tackled by the manufacturer.

I am not familiar with third party software that tags photo files.  But, I think I know the work flow to get it done.  You have to synchronize the clock in the camera with your GPS.  

Your GPS must be capable of creating a log file of where you have been.  An application can read the log file, and compare the log to the time stamps on your photo files.  By matching up times, you can determine the location of the shot.

When you have a camera with built-in GPS, the Canon EOS Utility does this automatically for you when you download the files  to your computer.  There are two caveats.  First, you must enable the GPS logging.  Second, the GPS must be enabled in the camera when you download the files.

I am sure there is software out there that can read GPS log file, and tag photos with the GPS locations.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The issue I am having is that I am using the Canon Camera Connect app oin my phone, and I cannot find the GPS logs. This is why I am looking at OpenGPS--since I already pull it's data log to create tracks in Google Earth, I should be able to use GeoSetter to correlate the data.
I would rather use the Canon software....but if I must use a third party, I shall!

@TimC wrote:

The issue I am having is that I am using the Canon Camera Connect app oin my phone, and I cannot find the GPS logs. This is why I am looking at OpenGPS--since I already pull it's data log to create tracks in Google Earth, I should be able to use GeoSetter to correlate the data.
I would rather use the Canon software....but if I must use a third party, I shall!

I assume that you are looking to do all of this on your phone?  I suggest using a computer platform.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, the phone is just a tool. GPS receiver and logger.
And my method, the cumbersome, works:
1.  Sync time between phone & camera using Canon Connect.
2.  Use third party software (in my case, Open GPS) app on phone to create a GPS log.
3.  At end of the day, transfer photos and GPS log to computer (Open GPS can email the GPS data log).

4.  Import GPS log into GoogleEarth. The allows me to see where I was at any given TIME.
5.. Use third party software (GeoSetter) to edit location on pictures, based on the time that photo was taken.

Again, will be much faster & easier if I were to just get the external GPS unit for the camera!

I'm looking for the same information!

I had no issue using the app to tag my photos. But I also wanted the raw GPS log. It must be on the phone somewhere, as it is saved and then applied to photos at a later time. So where is it? I looked everywhere in my phone, and I can't find it. Sony Android Xperia XZ. 

Announcements