cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I compose the shot and focus on the subject when using a blackout studio?

Radison
Contributor

Hi. I did a shoot at a blackout studio and I had a lot of problems focusing on the subject. On the one hand, if I exposed the shot to see and focus on the subject (dancer) then the background features like pipes, outlets, etc became visible. On the other hand if I exposed for everything to be black and let the studio strobe light the subject then I couldn't compose the shot the ensure all the dancer was in the frame. Before the flash fired the subject was too dark to see and for the focus to engage. 

Can anyone advise on what settings I can use to be able to see and focus on the subject but still achieve a solid back background. I use a Canon R6 with L series lenses (f2.8 24-70mm & 70-200mm).

Cheers!

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You have dim light in the studio, but the ambient exposure is set at a narrow aperture and fast shutter speed so the image comes out black

I see. Ok, I will try that. Thanks very much for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it.

I would post the examples from the handbook, but my books are packed away at the moment.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Definitely recommend Syl's books.

For a completely black background, first try to move your subjects as far away from the background as possible.  But, also control the ambient with your shutter speed.  Take a shot with no lights and see if too much ambient.  Increase (shorten) the shutter as needed.

When adding in lights, use flags/grids to prevent spill onto the background.

Or, add in your own background.  e.g. black paper, muslin, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks so much Ricky. That's really helpful. I will try these out and hopefully it works for me.

Rich

Announcements