cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Recover/Repair .DAT file from Canon R6?

amillett
Apprentice

Hi! I have a .DAT file that resulted from my R6 freezing while shooting video of a wedding back in October. I've tried using different software that had little to no results (VLC, Winff, Stellar Repair) and wanted to reach out to the community with any suggestions of what can be done to recover the video from the file. It shows data is in the file (448MB), but I can't view in camera or on my computer. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Many SD / CFExpress card manufacturers offer file recovery software. Some are free, some paid. I've used Test Disk and PhotoRec by CG Security. Note this is a free utility, but command line based. Others are below.

shadowsports_1-1670058836947.png

$49 is inexpensive compared to losing your reputation with a paying client. Lexar, ProGrade, and Angelbird all have recovery tools as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

keylanh
Apprentice

I found a solution! I was able to recover a 30gb 4k C Log 3 file on the first try.

Its not exactly cheap but it works and thats whats important.

TLDR: Purchase Wondershare RecoverIt and follow instructions. Use "Enhanced Repair"

Steps:

1.Purchase Wondershare RepairIt Software (I chose a perpetual license for $120 on mac, there is a monthly and annual subscription)

2. Duplicate the file onto change the file extension to .mp4 or whatever you're shooting in

3. Select "Enhanced Video Recovery"

4. Drag the file into the software

5. Drag a working clip as a reference shot on the same camera and in the same shooting format, frame rate, color science etc.

6. Let it work its magic.

Definitely an expensive and annoying issue to deal with but the process is easy and the recovered file(s) can be worth multiples of what you may pay to repair them. 

Cameras: 2x R5, C70, 5D IV
Lenses: RF 28-70 f/2 L, RF 85 f/1.2 L, EF 11-24 f/4 L, EF 17 TSE L, EF 24 TSE L, EF 135 f/2 L, EF 70-200iii f/2.8 L, EF 100 Macro f/2.8 L
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements