cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding steady?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Just got back from shooting 137 photos at a loca mountain stream in the Cherokee National Forest. I played around with my T7, mostly on AV, 18-55mm lens. I had a couple of Kodak moments that proved to be a couple of blurred close-up photos. I do have a monopod which could have been used. These photos were of two snails, easy to follow but getting close to the groundproved to be a bit shaky at my age. Your comments are most welcome. Will browse through them and post a few.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
29 REPLIES 29

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

"I don't suggest that you use these settings, but it's what I had to do to reproduce the scene and compensate for my shakes. It took very little in post.

Tv 1/400, f/5, ISO a whopping 4000. It was very dark under the forest canopy with dappled sun and I wanted to reproduce that feeling. Camp Creek State Park, just north of you about 100 miles."

I know, a different lens would have been a better choice, but that was all I had with me. I made do with what I had 😉 I had a 50mm and 24mm in the car, but my target was birds in the canopy and I didn't feel like carrying a pack up the mountain, LOL.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Even a fairly good and sharp photo can benefit from some post editing in PS with unsharp mask. Near 100% crops.

compare.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Even a fairly good and sharp photo can benefit from some post editing in PS with unsharp mask. Near 100% crops.

compare.jpg

Great tip, Ernie! I use the unsharp mask in DPP and sometimes a standalone tool by Topaz.

I'm pretty sure Tintype uses PS Elements, so he should be able to do the same.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks Ernie!

This would have also been a very good application for a macro lens but to get there I had to descend about 100 feet of very slick riverbank using a rope so I kept gear to a minimum.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Thanks Ernie!

This would have also been a very good application for a macro lens but to get there I had to descend about 100 feet of very slick riverbank using a rope so I kept gear to a minimum.

Rodger

My situation wasn't that bad (for the shot I posted), LOL, but sometimes you just have to make do with what you have at the time 🙂

Newton

"... sometimes you just have to make do with what you have at the time"

That's why you always post edit and under less than idea conditions it is mandatory if you want the best possible. Plus you always, always shoot Raw.

EB

I'm in the process of learning PSE and have a very basic grasp of DDP4. I can see the difference in the shell photos. Thanks for the photos. EB, I shoot in jpg and RAW just for the fun of it as I have lots of film.Smiley Wink My thought is jpg is for photos that I probably won't edit but RAW for photos that I might submit for magazine publication and articles. All the photos I took recently were both formats.

Got another area farther up in the wildreness area. Some great scenery there, well worth keeping for the future. Watching the weather next week.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Shooting jpg at all is a waste of “film”.😀
EB

I prefer to get it right in the camera, and further tweaking is not necessary

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

ebiggs, I should have mentioned it before, but when you added a large moon to my image of the tree, lights and small moon at the Fields of Light, I felt that you ruined my carefully composited image. Would you do the same to "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"?

There is room for plenty of workflows and philosophies of Photography.

kvb, I pulled up the Rockwell link and found it to be very interesting. I will like to save it and read it in detail later. Getting close to my beddy bye time.

John
Announcements