cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help-Visible water in viewfinder

lauraea
Contributor
My Canon 5D mkiii fell into shallow (fresh) water yesterday due to a faulty tripod. It wasn't fully submerged and I recovered it pretty quickly and dried it off. But I noticed later that water was inside the viewfinder. I took the battery and memory card out and placed the camera in sealed bag with rice. When I take off the lens and look inside I did not see any water, the only visible moisture is when I look in the viewfinder. I can also see the water move as I rotate the camera. Does anyone have any suggestions how to properly fix this, or is my camera doomed? I'm hoping that it will be ok after I let it dry, but I just want to make sure that I am doing all I can to save my camera. Thank you in advance for any help.
2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@lauraea wrote:
My Canon 5D mkiii fell into shallow (fresh) water yesterday due to a faulty tripod. It wasn't fully submerged and I recovered it pretty quickly and dried it off. But I noticed later that water was inside the viewfinder. I took the battery and memory card out and placed the camera in sealed bag with rice. When I take off the lens and look inside I did not see any water, the only visible moisture is when I look in the viewfinder. I can also see the water move as I rotate the camera. Does anyone have any suggestions how to properly fix this, or is my camera doomed? I'm hoping that it will be ok after I let it dry, but I just want to make sure that I am doing all I can to save my camera. Thank you in advance for any help.

Do not power it up.  Send it to Canon for inspection and possible repairs.  It is worth it to let experts look at it.  It's free, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lauraea
Contributor
Thank you for your input! I'm on vacation in Alaska right now so I will get it looked at when I get home. Hopefully it can be fixed.
Announcements