Did you mean: 

Good zoom lens for 60d

Donnawr
Contributor
60D
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hsbn
Whiz
It's a pretty general question. You need to indicate the zoom range, your budget, etc.
Canon wise, 16-35 F2.8L II, 24-70 F2.8L II, 70-200 F2.8L II. Those are the best Canon zoom from 16mm to 200mm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

hsbn
Whiz
It's a pretty general question. You need to indicate the zoom range, your budget, etc.
Canon wise, 16-35 F2.8L II, 24-70 F2.8L II, 70-200 F2.8L II. Those are the best Canon zoom from 16mm to 200mm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You forgot the EF-S 10-22mm, it is a ultra wide angle lens, and will fit the 60d with no problem.

Need good zoom for taking wildlife/landscape I'm pretty new at this so I don't want to spend a billion dollars since I'm just starting out. I would like 300 zoom at least. Thx for quick reply

In order of price, Canon 70-300 IS, 70-300 L IS, 100-400 L IS and although I don't know much about it I've read some very good reports on a Tamron 70-300 with their version of IS.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thx. So many choices I don't want to have buyers remorse especially since I'm a novice!!

I would look for a "Super Zoom" by a third party manufacturer.  Pretty good summary here:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-superzoom-for-canon-dslrs-8-...

I'm assuming by 'a billion dollars' you actually mean quite a bit less, like sub $1000?.  There a much better lenses than those in the above article, but they start in the thousands.  The 100-400 is a solid lens with good range, but it's around $1500.

I second Skirball idea. A superzoom is a good starting out lens. After a while you'll get an idea of what you need.

Thx. I was meaning $2000 plus

Well, if your limit is $2000 then you just opened yourself up to endless nights of not sleeping because you can't decide which telephoto to get.  Hah!  Welcome to the club.

But you said good zoom, the super zooms are good.  The Canon L series telephotos are great, but they're not cheap.  If 400mm is your minimum focal length then these are your basic choices:

100-400mm: Solid zoom, but kinda big.  Great Range.

400mm f/5.6: No zoom, obviously.  Good IQ, better than 100-400.  No image stabilization.  Thinner and lighter.

70-200 f/2.8 with 2X extender:  the old 70-200 with extender isn't going to give you as good of IQ, but the new 70-200 looks pretty **bleep** good even with a 2X.  It's gonna weigh and cost much more than the previous options, but here's the kicker, without the extender you have phenominal IQ throughout 70-200. 

Decisions, decisions... 

or the 400 f/5.6.    If you're ok using extenders then you could get a 70 - 200 and a 2X extender.  Now here's where you're really going to have trouble deciding.  The 100-400 and 400mm prime are going to peform much better than the old 70-200 with a 2X, bu

Announcements