cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus bracketing on EOS 90D Lenses

verebkm
Apprentice

I bought a new Canon EOS 90D.  I would like to use Focus Bracketing.  But heard that only certain lenses work with it. Is this true and if YES what lenses?

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is in the advanced user manual:

Untitled.jpg

I have lenses not listed in the manual and they do appear to focus bracket although I have not fully tested them. I asked Canon but as yet they have not replied.

I intend to do a few tests soon where I will try to get some idea of the focus incriments on various settings as I haven't found any info on that.

@DangerousNorman wrote:

I have lenses not listed in the manual and they do appear to focus bracket although I have not fully tested them. I asked Canon but as yet they have not replied.

I intend to do a few tests soon where I will try to get some idea of the focus incriments on various settings as I haven't found any info on that.

Do you have a copy of the advanced user manual?  Did you read the excerpt just above?  No one can tell you what settings to use.  YOU will need to figure it out for each shooting scenario.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes I have the manual and did read that page, many times. The reason I looked for interval info is that when something like that isn't documented then someone often does test it out and posts the results somewhere even if only to say there is no set patten and it's just trial & error with each lens you own.

That is why I intend to test myself. See if I can establish some sort of data that suits the focus stacking I normally do.

I asked Canon if that list of lenses was was a complete list of fully compatable lenses or were they the only lenses that they had tested and that there may be more that are compatable but haven't been tested. No reply as yet.

Tim
Authority

verebkm, 

I checked and the same list as others have posted from the advanced user guide is in the 10/31/19 released version of the manual with the same lenses.  THose aer the only ones we can confirm compatibility with at this time.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yes it confirms what I thought, that those were the only AF lenses that have been tested and found to be compatable. This is also the same info the telephone support give which was 'Please hold the line while I look in the manual' as if I had not done that several times. I had hoped that test had or were being carried out on some of the other lenses in the canon range as that is the sort of information that would not be in the manual but Canon support would/should have access to. The query was escallated and I'm still awaiting a reply.

In the meantime I will test my own lens but I would not be able to do as good a compatability test as Canon can.

That said as WiFi does not work correctly and Canon support can't help other than to tell me what the manual tells me to do so the issue remains unfixed and WiFi connection to the computer is unusable I have to revert to a usb connection.

Another niggle I reported, not a fault but a feature many want and would be easy to add get the responce of (basically) 'no we don't want to add that as we don't think users want it'.

bobcrusader
Apprentice

I tested Canon 50mm F1.8, Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8, Canon EF-S 10-18, Sigma 18-35 F1.8, Sigma 50-100 F1.8, Tamron 150-600 G2, Tamron 16-300 and even tried a Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter with the Sigma 50-100 and they all worked. You have to be in Live View mode with AF on to enable the option in Menu 5.

Announcements