cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash trigger Godox RT-16 does not seem to work with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

SamVanhoutte
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I just bought a starter kit of Godox with 3 studio lamps/flashes (including white box/umbrella stuff).  And they come with a flash trigger (model Godox RT-16). 

The synchronization between the camera - flash trigger - and the 3 flashes seems to work, because when I take a picture (having the transmitter in the hot shoe), the three flashes flash.  

The problem is that I want to have the settings set for E-TTL, as now all my pictures are over-exposed!

But it seems that the menu is disabled, having the error indication "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off."

I don't have any cable/link between the transmitter and my camera, the only "integration point" is the hot shoe.

Would someone have an idea or hint on how to solve this? 

Best regards

(forgive potential mistyped terms/words, as I am rather new and also not-native-English speaking)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

the entire off camera flash/strobe system has to support TTL (both trigger and the lamps/flashes) to support TTL shooting.  The cheaper kits are non-TTL so you'll have to adjust the power manually (or shoot in manual mode in camera and adjust settings like ISO/exposure/shutter speed to compensate).

To begin with, you may need a better understanding of TTL and manual flash photography.  This site gives a good overview.

What is a TTL Flash? (TTL vs Manual Flash Modes Explained) (expertphotography.com)

But to learn/understand off camera flash photography, the strobist website is a classic.

Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction

I'm sure your starter kit is enough to start with, but you'll have to learn shooting manual flash mode first (i started this way also before moving to TTL flash photography using pocketwizards before giving up flash photography all together).  in the end, you want to control the lighting and not have it done automatically for you.

Once you understand the basics with a simple kit like the one you have, you can then decide what you really need and move up from there (it can get really expensive).

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that you are talking about the menu in the camera. If so, the problem is that only Canon flashes or triggers will display its settings in the camera menu. That is what the camera is telling you when it reports an incompatible flash. 

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

short answer: the godox trigger you have is a simple trigger and not E-TTL.  you'll have to manually set the power levels on your studio lamps/flashes accordingly.  the menu is only for canon flashes.  your images are overexposed as the flashes are all likely being triggered at full power.

-jaewoo

Thanks for your answer (and also thanks to 5DIV).  So, when I would buy a Canon flash trigger, it should normally work, and probably will also work with the Godox lamps/flashes?  The E-TTL compatibility is related to the trigger set, not the lamps.  Correct? 

E-TTL is simply auto adjusting flash power for scene exposure.  it has nothing to do with triggering off camera flashes/strobes.

Canon flashes have E-TTL (for auto flash adjustment) and radio transmission for trigger remote flashes.  all canon flashes also have optical transmission as well for remote communication.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Speedlite Comparison Chart | Speedlite 470EX-AI | Canon USA

This forum won't be the right place to answer your godox questions.

-jaewoo

Yes, it's no longer about the Godox for now.  It's probably more about understanding compatibility between Canon and its flash triggers and other -existing- lamps.  Is the E-TTL feature something related to the flash trigger, or does it also depend on the actual lamps/white box? 

the entire off camera flash/strobe system has to support TTL (both trigger and the lamps/flashes) to support TTL shooting.  The cheaper kits are non-TTL so you'll have to adjust the power manually (or shoot in manual mode in camera and adjust settings like ISO/exposure/shutter speed to compensate).

To begin with, you may need a better understanding of TTL and manual flash photography.  This site gives a good overview.

What is a TTL Flash? (TTL vs Manual Flash Modes Explained) (expertphotography.com)

But to learn/understand off camera flash photography, the strobist website is a classic.

Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction

I'm sure your starter kit is enough to start with, but you'll have to learn shooting manual flash mode first (i started this way also before moving to TTL flash photography using pocketwizards before giving up flash photography all together).  in the end, you want to control the lighting and not have it done automatically for you.

Once you understand the basics with a simple kit like the one you have, you can then decide what you really need and move up from there (it can get really expensive).

-jaewoo

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It seems to [me] the solution is to upgrade your Godox trigger.  There are models that are ETTL II compatible, so they should work with the camera menus.  

But, I do not think you can mix and match Godox and Canon Speedlites with Godox gear [trigger].  You would need to go all in with Godox [lighting], if that is the case.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements