cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First camera, R7, R8 or used R6?

weggaa
Apprentice

I’ve been learning photography over the past year using my iPhone 14 Pro’s camera. I’ve gotten better results than I ever could have imagined and it’s turned into a burning desire to get an actual camera. I really want to do wildlife photography and landscape as I am always hiking in the woods. This creates a bit of clash for me though as my two favourite types of photography apparently benefit from two different bodies that I have budgeted for. R7 for wildlife and R8 for landscape. I am wondering what everyone’s thoughts are for using an R7 for landscape so I could get the best of both worlds. I do plan on making large prints (24x36 for example) of my photos as well and hanging them up in my own house.

I should also mention I have seen a used first gen R6 in my area for the price of a new R7/R8 and am wondering if that’s worth going for instead.

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The R7 or R6 would likely be the best options for you.  For wildlife and large output prints, the R7 would likely be my choice.  What is your actual budget?

You will not just need a camera.  You are going to need 2-3 memory cards, at least 1 extra battery and one or more lenses too. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ctitanic
Rising Star

I'll go with an used (Like New from MPB) R6. At first it may seem that the higher resolution of the R7 is an advantage but I owned it and the R7 is very noisy camera. You will have to pay special attention to Noise. I exchanged my R7 for an used R6. That tells you everything. The R8 sounds like a good option but there are too many limitations on it such as: 1 sd card slot and no joystick. I recently shared my thoughts about the best canon cameras for wildlife and sport photography at my blog in case that you want to check it, bare in mind that those are just my thoughts and personal opinion which may be wrong or differ from others opinions.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.
Announcements