cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files missing from cards with recording on dual slots, Canon R6

Aamphlett
Apprentice

I was shooting a proposal today and shooting on dual SanDisk cards as I always do. Half way through the session card #2 prompted that it was full so I removed it and continued shooting on the second card. At the end of the session I checked my images count and it was around 450. I wrapped and returned to the card. When I started reviewing images again my image count had dropped to 380. As I began investigating there are 70 images missing from the first 10 minutes of shooting. My file naming jumps from image 5748 to the next being 5821, with the timestamps being 2:18pm and the next 2:33pm. I was shooting continuously though this time, and on both cards. I then went back and check the 2nd card, which they are also not on. I tried restarting the camera. I tried viewing both card on my computer, and nothing. I am at a loss for how this could happen on two cards at the same time, especially for such a large chunk of time. I was not shooting rapid fire or anything volume wise that would stop the camera from syncing. I just dont know what could have happened. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When you tried viewing the cards on a PC, were you using a card reader or trying to view directly from the camera?  Try a card reader.  

I would also try a file recovery software.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Unfortunately I was using a card reader, images are not there on either card and both show the skip. I am working on file recovery software now. I'm just at a loss for how that could happen on two cards simultaneously. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Possible scenario

1. sounds like you were recording to both cards and one card had more available storage than the other.

2. Not sure about the R6, but, when set up to record to both cards, my DSLRs will stop recording if one card becomes full. Protection against not having images on both cards, which was the intended setting. 

3. Is your camera perhaps set to enable shooting without card?

4. Were you always checking the LCD or could you have perhaps missed when the camera first signaled Card Full?

In other words, did your particular shooting configuration allow the camera to continue to shoot when one card was full but installed, and recording resumed when the card was removed and the camera started recording in single card mode.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Can images still be recovered though, in these scenarios?

Dhinchy
Apprentice

Did you ever recover the images? In the exact same position!

Announcements