cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files from R10 come in as JPG and Unix Executable file

VictoriaJZ
Contributor

I am on a Mac [Mojave OS] and took shots with the R10, transferred them to my iPad [while out of town] which uploaded to Photos then when I got back to my Mac I downloaded the image files - JPGs came in as well as "Unix Executable File" and I figured that was just a RAW file [it had the same # as the preceding JPG] but when I added the extension RAW to the file it could not be opened.  Any suggestions on what is going on and how to 'fix' it == the Unix files are mostly 30mb and the JPG ones with the same number are about 15.

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The RAW files should have an extension of ".CR3" (would be ".CR2" for most of Canon's prior camera line).

Was Finder hiding those extensions? Highlight a single file you think is a RAW image, then bring up its info (Command+I).  Under the "Name & Extension" section, check to see if the "Hide Extension" checkbox is enabled.

file_extension.png

How exactly did you transfer the photos to the iPad? I had thought that such a transfer was limited to JPEG.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I had a card reader with USB-C port and was able to transfer the images without an issue and they could then be seen fine in Photos.

VictoriaJZ
Contributor

I looked at one of the Unix images - it's 31.1mb - IMG_4883  - the corresponding image [at least by ## in Photos = is 6.5 mb JPG

Since it's lacking a file extension, it appears that Finder has been set to hide such extensions.  Did you bring up the file information for that file?

--
Ricky

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

Only a newer version of macOS would correctly recognize the file type for the CR3 file. The file type is newer than the OS. If a new version of Canon DPP runs on that version of macOS, I expect that it would be able to process it with no difficulty. With macOS Ventura, the CR3 files are recognized by the mac photos app and can be processed by the photos app.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Thanks -- Hide is not checked but bet my OS is too old to handle the new R10-- I'm upgrading anyway so will not worry about dealing with them until that's done and I can double check -- appreciate the patience and guidance.

Thanks to all == I am now in Monterey OS and downloaded files from iCloud [they come in as zips] and expanded the zips and have them come in as a plain icon, and if I get Info there's no CR2 or 3 attached == but the jpg of the image shows and the images without the extension still show up in column view.. I decided to test adding CR2 to the image and that solved the problem ===I"m hoping I can use Automator to do them all, or I'll do them one by one == thanks much for the help and discussion [I'm not moving to Ventura just yet]

Are you absolutely sure that those files are missing their extensions? Note that Finder on macOS can be instructed to not show file extensions for particular file types.

If you have to manually add .CR2 or .CR3 to the files, I fear that you'll end up with files named like "IMG0001.CR2.CR2".

--
Ricky

Yes - I did a get info and I have Finder set to show all extensions = they changed to IMG_####.CR2 -I'll double check next time I'm in Monterey....right now I'm back on Mojave.  Thanks

Announcements