cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: R5 - External Recording without Card Inseserted

atomicgrunt
Apprentice

I have an R5 and a Ninja V recording monitor. The R5 will not trigger the external recording over HDMI if there isn't a card inserted into the R5. This completely defeats my main purpose of recording externally. If there's a card in the camera, the camera overheats. If there's no card inserted I can record to my Ninja V for hours without it overheating. 

For most of my shoots I have the R5 and Ninja V on a gimble. So I have to left go of one hand and push the button on the Ninja V to start recording, instead of just moving my thumb to the record button the the Ronin. This is a huge innocence and makes shooting very uncomfortable. 

Does Canon have any plans to update the firmware so the R5 will trigger recording over HDMI without a card inserted?

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

With the explanation, it makes perfect sense now. 

You need to contact Canon with this request, the forums are not monitored by developers.  

It's certainly a reasonable request.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

VikingBoy
Apprentice

With the symbiosis of the R5 and the Ninja V/V+ that has come in recent times, this feature seems to me to be the most urgent feature to bring to this camera as soon as possible (for anyone jumping into this discussion here: its making possible the HDMI triggering of the Atomos when there are no cards in the EOS R5).

Canon PLEASE hear our cry!! 

vulgerrity
Apprentice

I really hope Canon can get eyes on this and implement it.  I just got an R5 and a Ninja V+ and noticed this issue.  Requiring internal media in order to use the camera buttons to trigger an external recorder totally negates the unlimited record time of an external recorder.

I tweeted at Canon about the problem...we'll see if anything sticks...I'm not holding my breathe, especially since there was just a firmware update...does anyone know another place to make a proper feature request?

Announcements