Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neweer TT560 and Canon Rebel SL3 compatibility

Blair_canada
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

New to the community!

I'm wondering if these two are compatible or do I need to purchase specifically Canon flash products?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

No you'll need to use a Canon EX or EL speedlite. This cameras lack the center pin for manual flashes to work. Or 3rd Party E-TTL flashes to work correctly.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a little frustrated because of all the google searches not giving me the correct info. Could you please expand on those model numbers you mentioned?

I recommend the EL-100 Speedlite.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

All of Canon's EX & EL speedlites utilize E-TTL flash metering. Older E, EZ & TL speedlites are NOT compatible with your camera. Those speedlite utilize TTL or A-TTL flash metering which is incompatible with EOS Digital cameras. What is your budget to spend on a speedlite. The EL-100 is a good speedlite so is the 430EX III-RT.

ModelSpeedlite Control Menu CompatibilityIR AF Assist BeamIntermittent Flash Firing AF Assist BeamOn Speedlite Controls
220EXNOYESNONO
270EX (Gen 1)YESNOYESNO
270EX IIYESNOYESNO

320EX

YESNOYES (Also an LED Light for Live View AF)NO
380EXNOYESNONO
420EXNOYESNONO
430EX (Gen 1)NOYESNOYES
430EX IIYESYESNOYES
430EX III-RTYESYESYES (Default Setting)YES
470EX-AI YES
YES (Default Setting)YESYES
550EXNOYESNOYES
580EX (Gen 1)NOYESNOYES
580EX IIYESYESNOYES
600EX-RTYESYESNOYES
600EX II-RTYESYESNOYES
EL-1YESYES (Default Setting)YESYES
EL-100 YESNOYESNO

Note: Speedlites utilizing Intermittent Flash Firing or an LED light for an AF Assist Beam are NOT compatible with pre-2007 cameras. 

Note: Speedlites without on flash controls, FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation), Rear Curtain & (High Speed Sync with certain speedlites) can be set with the speedlite control Menu.

Note: For the EOS R Series an AF Assist Beam is projected by Intermittent Flash Firing. Even if the speedlite doesn't have a choice for Intermittent Flash Firing. Speedlites with a choice between IR & Intermittent Flash Firing. The AF Assist Beam is projected by Intermittent Flash Firing regardless of the AF Assist Beam Emission setting.

Note: Canon's new EL-5 speedlite IS NOT compatible with ANY DSLR camera. It is ONLY compatible on certain EOS R Series camera with a Digital Hot shoe.

600EX II-RT 9 Point IR AF Assist Beam Projection600EX II-RT 9 Point IR AF Assist Beam Projection

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Wow thanks for all that info!

I'm looking at the EL-100 because it fits my budget ($170 Canadian funds)I want to keep it simple because I've never really used a flash before, so I will be learning it's applications from the start.

If you'll be taking pictures of people in the dark. The speedlite will fire an AF Assist Beam that uses Intermittent Flash Firing (Disco Flash, same as used by the built-in flash). What you're seeing is NOT a metering pre-flash nor has a picture been taken. The speedlite is brightening up the scene so the camera can AF. Once the camera has locked on your subject(s) the speedlite will stop firing an AF Assist Beam. Then the camera will take a picture. If the camera can't lock focus it won't take a picture. Also the AF Assist Beam only works in One Shot & AI Focus AF modes. AI Servo has no focus lock so the AF Assist Beam won't fire. One Shot has focus lock that's why the AF Assist Beam works with that focus mode. AI Focus is a hybrid mode of AI Servo & One Shot AF. The camera starts out in One Shot then switches to AI Servo if it detects subject movement. Its best to use One Shot AF in low light. AI Focus will switch to AI Servo if the camera detects camera shake.

-Demetrius

Announcements