cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: 7d Mark II - Add option to show compass direction in viewfinder.

Califdan
Contributor

Please add option to show compass direction in the viewfinder display.

12 REPLIES 12

Skirball
Authority

This is a user forum, Canon won't get your request here.

That said, there's no way adding a compass into the viewfinder would be a simple firmware fix, so I can guarantee that it won't be added to the 7d2.

Thanks Skirball.  If you know the appropriate places for feature requests I'd appreciate the URL.  

On your other comment about likelyhood, I'm not sure I agree with you.  I would agree with you on other models but the 7d MK II has additional information in the viewfinder (superimposed on in the image area)  that I had not seen on other prior Canon Camera models.  This includes, digital level, digital inclination (up/down level), shooting mode, WB setting, Drive mode, Focus mode, and Meter Pattern.   So, adding one more thing that is readily available at shooting time should not be all that big a deal.   If you haven't seen this new viewfinder info you may want to check it out.  It's really nice and I suspect was introduced to counter EVF viewfinder info from the mirrorless model competitors.

Dan

That's interesting, I didn't know that they added new information to the viewfinder.  I agree, it's a nice addition.  That said, I'll still say that any change is unlikely for three reasons:

1) I'm guessing that the overlay is still some sort of LCD type technology, where you can't simply program in new information at will.

2) Even if I'm wrong and it is a customizable display, unless Canon programmed it with the intent of adding variables later it's probably more work than you think to add in a new feature and fully validate the design change.

3) Historically Canon has been very reserved with firmware updates.  Usually they're just to fix errors, not add features.  The one exception to that are updates to the 1Dx, which Canon seems happy to do.  As they should, for a $6700 camera.  But plenty of changes (such as the auto-ISO exposure compensation) could easily trickle down to other models.  Not to mention allowing reprogramming of rear panel buttons for things like AF mode toggle, or white balance (6D).  And they released the 7D2 with the same GPS battery drain issue they seem to refuse to acknowledge.  Sorry, I think the chance of putting a compass in the viewfinder is slim.  Just my opinion.

I'm sure you're right, but don't hurt to ask 🙂

@Skirball wrote:

That's interesting, I didn't know that they added new information to the viewfinder.  I agree, it's a nice addition.  That said, I'll still say that any change is unlikely for three reasons:

1) I'm guessing that the overlay is still some sort of LCD type technology, where you can't simply program in new information at will.

2) Even if I'm wrong and it is a customizable display, unless Canon programmed it with the intent of adding variables later it's probably more work than you think to add in a new feature and fully validate the design change.

3) Historically Canon has been very reserved with firmware updates.  Usually they're just to fix errors, not add features.  The one exception to that are updates to the 1Dx, which Canon seems happy to do.  As they should, for a $6700 camera.  But plenty of changes (such as the auto-ISO exposure compensation) could easily trickle down to other models.  Not to mention allowing reprogramming of rear panel buttons for things like AF mode toggle, or white balance (6D).  And they released the 7D2 with the same GPS battery drain issue they seem to refuse to acknowledge.  Sorry, I think the chance of putting a compass in the viewfinder is slim.  Just my opinion.

Your first 2½ points are valid, along with one you didn't make: Incorporating a compass into the viewfinder introduces a magnetic field in a location where you probably don't want one.

I think your third point is a bit overstated, however. The 7D (and I think also the 5D3) has had a fairly major firmware update during its lifetime that did include an additional feature that I thought was importatnt: the ability to name image files before they leave the camera. Since I have two 7Ds, it's very helpful to be able to see quickly which pictures were taken with which camera. And when I share photo shoots with my wife, it helps me tell my pictures from hers. (She uses a Rebel, which lacks the in-camera naming feature.)

All that aside, the value of an in-camera compass is at best debatable. If you actually need it, you probably want it to be accurate; and unless you never leave your home town, you'd have to recalibrate it often to keep it in sync with true north (or south). I think I'd consider it just another unnecessary distraction.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Your first 2½ points are valid, along with one you didn't make: Incorporating a compass into the viewfinder introduces a magnetic field in a location where you probably don't want one.

I think your third point is a bit overstated, however. The 7D (and I think also the 5D3) has had a fairly major firmware update during its lifetime that did include an additional feature that I thought was importatnt: the ability to name image files before they leave the camera. Since I have two 7Ds, it's very helpful to be able to see quickly which pictures were taken with which camera. And when I share photo shoots with my wife, it helps me tell my pictures from hers. (She uses a Rebel, which lacks the in-camera naming feature.)

I left out the questionable benefit of the addition because I couldn't image what purpose anyone really has for having a compass on their camera, let alone in the viewfinder.  I just chalked it up to another example of the wide variety of ways people use their cameras and the different needs we all have.  Much like your example of a "major" firmware update.  I just don't see it myself.  You can have the files named anything you want upon import, and most programs like Lightroom can even add in camera models and whatnot to the filename.  Of course, you can just sort by metadata at any point you want, including serial number of most cameras if using the same model.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they added it in-camera.  But I'd much rather they add a functionality that I can't already do in post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incorporating a compass into the viewfinder introduces a magnetic field in a location where you probably don't want one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Robert,

The 7d Mk II is already capturing the compass direction.  On the rear LCD screen, if you press the "info" button a couple of times to get the digital level (same as the 5dIII, 7d) the 7d Mk II also shows you the compass direction under the level (assuming you have GPS turned on).   As this information is already being captured by the camera during normal operation my suggestion is to just make it visible in the viewfinder as they have many other settings such as WB, meter pattern, and the others I metnioned.

Dan

Califdan, Could you please help me understand what use a photographer has for compass direction?

Thank you.

Cale_Kat

When shooting with my new 7d Mk II, I discovered that the shooting direction was displayed with the level on the rear LCD panel.  In addition, on this model you can have the level also displayed in the eye level viewfinder which greatly improved my success rate in having a level shot (no more titlted horizons).  I also found that from time to time during a 3 week shoot in Central America I would have liked to see the compass direction in the eye level viewfinder - rather than having to take the camera away from my eye to look at the rear LCD. 

In one case, in the mountrains I was looking for a specific peak that I knew was NNE of my current location.  But, I had no idea which way NNE was.  In another case when I was scouting for a shooting location for a star trails shot I wanted to place the north star directly above a specific foreground element.  However, I was scouting the location in the day time when stars are not visible.  It would have been nice to know the camera was pointed North as I moved around to get the foreground element in the right place relative to where the North Star would be that night.  I like to shoot a single shot before  dark when there is still light on the landscape, then without moving the camera I wait for total darkenss to get the star trails.  In other words I need to get everyting positioned before I can actually see the constellations.  I was able to do this with the rear LCD but it would have been a tad easier (and much less battery drain) if I could use the viewfinder to do this.   

This is not an earth shattering reuqirement by any stretch of the imagination.  And there are cell phone apps that do this as well (e.g.  TPE) but in 3rd world countries if you don't have a data plan (or any plan for that matter) or are out of cell tower range the cell phone app is not all that useful.  But as the camera already knows this info and they put in the model the ability to show or not show all sorts of other metadata superimposed in the image area of the eye level viewfinder, it should be something that is not all the difficlut for them to do..

Announcements