cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure Simulation 5D Mark4 DSLR

larrylato
Contributor

I do both astro-photography and long exposure using ND filters. At some point, when conditions are dark enough, live view exposure sim no longer works. I understand that. Live view is showing what the sensor sees thru the lens. Recently I was on a trip in Mich UP, doing long exposure of a lighthouse during the daytime. Using a 15 stop ND filter on my 24-70 lens, I was shooting a few 4 minute+ exposures when I happened to notice my live view was showing the properly exposed live image. How can that be? If the sensor is looking thru a 15 stop ND where I need over 4 mins to get a proper exposure, how can live view be showing my current composition? This is a DSLR, not mirrorless camera. Thanks much. Larry

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you use Live View mode, your DSLR is essentially operating line a mirrorless camera.  It even has an ExpSIM setting that you can enable.  Your Exposure Simulation may be enabled, or was.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks and yes I understand that. But with a DSLR, live view is using the sensor viewing thru the lens, not an electronic viewfinder like in mirrorless. How can the sensor "see" thru a 15 stop nd filter? 

@larrylato wrote:

Thanks and yes I understand that. But with a DSLR, live view is using the sensor viewing thru the lens, not an electronic viewfinder like in mirrorless. How can the sensor "see" thru a 15 stop nd filter? 

If your exposure settings were adjusted for a proper exposure with the filter in place AND your shutter speed was under 30 seconds, then the camera should be able to simulate the exposure in Live View.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Larry:
First, I am not sure what you were trying to say with  your comment "But with a DSLR, live view is using the sensor viewing thru the lens, not an electronic viewfinder like in mirrorless" but  MILCs can only show what the sensor is seeing as there is no optical viewfinder.
I think that the issue that for both in DSLRs in Live View mode, and MILCs all the time, the image is being read off the sensor, but the critical issue is whether Exposure Simulation mode is being applied.  To refer to the 5DIV Advanced User Guide, P311:

Tronhard_0-1728958183576.png

and on P302:

Tronhard_1-1728958389550.png

So, my point is that the critical element is in what mode of Exposure Simulation the camera is in, not simply if it is in live view.  As the manual says, there is an option either way and that is true for both DSLR in Live View mode and a MILC all the time.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements